Senior Product Designer
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 26, 2023
BackerKit enables thousands of crowdfunding creators worldwide
to focus on doing what they love.Our software is the market-leading
platform for crowdfunding backer management, empowering project
creators to manage their creative endeavors with confidence. We've
also just launched our new crowdfunding platform, so now we're a
one-stop shop for creators - both launching their project, and then
managing backers, fulfillment, etc., after the project is over.
We're a profitable, self-funded company with a diverse, close-knit
team that prizes creativity, enthusiasm, and a willingness to
learn. We currently have about 50 employees, all told.We're hiring
a Senior Product Designer to join our team! This position is
remote-friendly to anyone in the US. We do have a small office in
San Francisco (our HQ), but the team you'll be working on is fully
distributed. If you're interested in working with a great team and
amazing customers to constantly improve the way creators interact
with their fans, we'd love to chat about how you can help us build,
scale, and improve our platform.You'll be on our Product Team,
where we work iteratively, and purposely avoid thinking too far
into the future when deciding what to build. BackerKit has made it
this far by listening to our customers and building what makes
sense.The founders are a developer/designer duo who met while
working on Diaspora, the first highly successful crowdfunded open
source software project. Our commitment to helping creative people
be creative starts with them and drives us every day.About YouYou
are a talented senior-level designer who creates amazing visual and
user experiences. You have an eye for clean and artful design,
possess superior UI/UX skills and can translate high-level
requirements into interaction flows and artifacts. You thrive when
working on consumer-facing software, and you have Opinions--- about
how design should be integrated into a product development
- You believe in the agile process:
- You're able to push forward impactful product changes in an
- You know that it's better to ship things too early than too
- You believe that the best way to get feedback is to put changes
into the hands of users
- You know how to be scrappy when you need to do just enough
- You are a great communicator:
- You're a great listener, ask questions, and can effectively
communicate verbally, via presentations, and in writing
- You're able to utilize a variety of tools and methods to
communicate design ideas to colleagues in a variety of roles
- You can present and defend product decisions to various
- You're jazzed about helping creators and their fans:
- You're curious about what creators and backers do, and will
strive to become an expert in the crowdfunding space
- You love translating user research into actionable changes to
maximize impact and improve processes
- You take a data-driven approach to help identify patterns that
unearth new insightsWhat working at BackerKit will look like:
- You will make important design decisions that have sweeping
consequences for our customers and the business.
- You will establish a way to effectively integrate design into
our software development process, working with our engineers and
- You will continue to help the team release early and often. We
deploy new code to our users at least once a day, and frequently
more often than that.
- You will fuel our Product Team with strategic product decisions
based on insights. We are a small team that moves fast, so it is
important that you speak your mind and give feedback on how we can
make things better/faster/stronger.
- You will work collaboratively with our engineering, sales,
marketing, success, and support teams.
- You will communicate directly with our customers - ask them
lots of questions, learn their motivations, understand their pain
points, record observations and conduct user testing.
- You will empathize with our customers. Everyone at BackerKit is
customer-facing, and we expect everyone to get to know the project
creators and their fans we are serving (plus, they are awesome,
just like you!).
- You will have opportunities to advance and grow.Skills and
experience we'd like you to possess:
- 5+ years of product development experience on an agile SaaS
- 5+ years of experience doing visual design and interaction
design on consumer-facing web applications.
- Strong portfolio. Excellent visual design skills with
sensitivity to user-system interaction. Solid experience in
creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and
- Experience working at a startup - you know what it takes to
build products from the ground up.
- What you have designed has been used by thousands of people,
and you have had the opportunity to test and revise your
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, or other visual
design and wire-framing tools.
- Impeccable product management skills - you can effectively
prioritize tasks, and you know how to work independently.
- A knack for finding the right problems to solve - you can ask
the right questions and use data to help you in your research.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively - you can
get stuff done in a fast-paced, low-overhead organization.
- Entrepreneurial - you can think big picture and also
tactically. We trust everyone on our team to make bold choices and
do what is best to grow the company.Benefits:
- Remote-first position on a distributed team
- Sock option plan
- Annual company profit sharing
- Stipends for supporting creators of your choosing
- Medical, dental, vision, and FSA/HSA benefits
- 401k plan (with employer match!)
- Annual Learning and Development stipend to support your
- Family-friendly environment focused on maintaining a healthy
work/life balanceThe base salary for this role is targeted at
$135,000 - $150,000 /year in Denver and most remote locations, and
$158,000 - $173,000 /year for San Francisco and New York. Final
offer amounts are determined by various factors including but not
limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, location, and
may vary from the amounts listed above. BackerKit is a remote-first
workplace (United States only), and we welcome applications from
any eligible US-based individuals regardless of location. In the
future, we may require annual or semi-annual travel to the SF Bay
Area for company events.Research shows that while men apply to jobs
when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other
marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box.
You do not have to satisfy every qualification listed. If you think
you have what it takes and are up for the challenge, we encourage
you to apply!We are an equal opportunity employer and value
diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Pursuant
to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for
employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction
records.We here at BackerKit will always respect pronouns and
identities when addressing candidates who feel comfortable sharing
theirs.BackerKit is committed to a culture of inclusion and
belonging. We believe that crowdfunding is for everyone, and strive
to build a company that reflects the diverse backgrounds of the
creators we currently serve and hope to serve in the future.
Keywords: BackerKit, San Francisco , Senior Product Designer, Other , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!