IT Service Desk Technician
Company: Golden Gate University
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Job DetailsJob Location San Francisco - San Francisco,
CAPosition Type Full Time - Basic Function & Scope of Job Job
Title: IT Service Desk Technician
Department: Information Technology Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: The IT Service Desk Technician is an integral part of the
technical support team and is responsible for managing day to day
ITS technical operational support issues. Reporting to the ITS
Service Desk Manager, this position directly supports the
technology needs of students, faculty, and staff at Golden Gate
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Manage Support Requests - A significant responsibility of
Service Desk is to manage support requests. Must document issue
severity and utilize standard procedures to resolve issues. Must
also maintain support tracking systems.
- Serve as Level 2 point of contact for users seeking technical
assistance in person, over the phone or email.
- Actively monitor the ticketing system queues, assigning and
re-assigning, as necessary, the ownership of tickets and tasks to
the appropriate technician.
- Provide accurate information on IT products or services.
- Resolve Technical Issues - Service Desk must resolve technical
issues in person or remotely. For certain common problems, such as
installation and configuration problems, they provide users links
to documentation so that they can better understand their
- Perform remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques
and pertinent questions.
- Determine the best solution based on the issue and details
provided by users.
- Walk the user through the problem-solving process.
- Follow-up and update user status and information.
- Pass on any feedback or suggestions by users to the appropriate
- Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures.
- Escalate Complex Cases - Service Desk staff often escalate user
support requests to Level 3 staff if they are unable to resolve a
particular issue on their own. Service Desk staff will own the
issue until resolution.
- Manage Service Documentation - Service Desk staff must maintain
comprehensive records of issues relating to both software and
- Keep inventory of all equipment, software, and license
- Technical expertise - as service desk staff play a direct role
in fixing user's problems, service desk staff need excellent
technical and system expertise.
- General awareness of computer systems, PC repair, and network
- Ability to deploy, configure, and support operating systems on
desktop and mobile.
- Problem-resolving abilities - service desk staff are problem
solvers, so they should be able to devise technical and original
solutions to user problems.
- Resourcefulness and quick-thinking nature to troubleshoot new
and critical technical issues as they arise.
- Communication - operational message is key in this role since
service desk staff are required to collect data about issues,
prepare comprehensive notes and reports, and walk users through the
stages they can take to fix software and hardware problems.
- Understanding and appreciation for information security within
systems and user devices.
- Time administration - service desk staff require excellent time
management aids and should be able to set priorities when covering
- Strong drive to provide excellent customer service and
experience, with an awareness of prioritization of tasks,
stakeholders, budget, and time.
- Team partnership - service desk routinely works with other IT
personnel to resolve user issues, so they need to collaborate with
team members and coworkers.
- Structured change control processes (ITIL)
- Experience working with structured service management
processes, including structured change management, release
management, and project management practices.
- MS Windows client systems
- Active Directory or similar enterprise LDAP services
- File & print services
- Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access,
- Microsoft Teams Phone system
- Support ticketing systems
- Experience with remote customer supporting tools.
- Technical documentation authoring for both internal IT
functions, as well as user-facing documentation.
- Remote Support Management systems
- Excellent verbal and written English Language skills.
Education and/or Experience:
B.A. or B.S. degree or international equivalent or a minimum of
three (3) years experience in Information Technology support roles,
with a strong customer support role is preferred. Authorization to
work in the United States (note: we cannot sponsor applications for
"green card".)Supplemental Information To apply: Please go
tohttp://www.ggu.edu/jobsand submit an application, letter of
interest, and a resume.
In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a
broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle
check, and a third party background check.
Golden Gate University is an equal employment opportunity employer.
We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a
safe and welcoming community for all.
University policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color,
religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual
orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental
disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a
protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any
other basis protected by applicable laws.
The University has a strong commitment to the principles of
diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining working and learning
environments that reinforces these practices. The University
welcomes and encourages applications from all especially women,
minorities, people of color, veterans, persons with disabilities,
and members of the LGBTQI community.
Keywords: Golden Gate University, San Francisco , IT Service Desk Technician, Professions , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!