Senior Scientist II, Protein Analytical Chemistry, CMC Biologics
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: April 18, 2019
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-driven biopharmaceutical
company committed to developing innovative advanced therapies for
some of the worlds most complex and critical conditions. The
companys mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and
unique approach to innovation to markedly improve treatments across
four primary therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, virology and
neuroscience. In more than 75 countries, AbbVie employees are
working every day to advance health solutions for people around the
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio
consisting of three marketed products Imbruvica--, Venclexta, and
Empliciti and a pipeline containing multiple promising new
molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in
19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three
sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San
Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development
of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists,
clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial
roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise
in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their
knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates
(ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop
novel cancer treatments. AbbVie is also expanding their expertise
through partnering with companies leading the way in emerging
biologic technologies including oncolytic virus and CAR-T
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist to join the
Protein Analytical Chemistry Group (within CMC Development) at the
AbbVie location in Redwood City, CA. AbbVie Redwood City is an
R&D organization focused on development of innovative biologics
in the field of Oncology. In this role, you will utilize your
knowledge of analytical protein chemistry and expertise in
chromatography and capillary electrophoresis to contribute to CMC
development of AbbVies growing pipeline of clinical stage oncology
biotherapeutics, which include novel bispecific constructs,
antibody-drug conjugates, and monoclonal antibodies.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Independently develop and apply state of the art capillary
electrophoresis and HPLC methods to characterize biotherapeutic
proteins and their associated variants and impurities.
- Identify post-translational modifications and characterize
structure-activity relationships of products under
- Develop innovative approaches to solve difficult analytical
- Represent the Protein Analytical Chemistry Group as a subject
matter expert on cross functional project teams.
- Develop, qualify/validate, and transfer fit-for-purpose QC
release and stability methods.
- Provide technical support and oversight for QC testing
occurring at internal and external GMP laboratories.
- Plan and author characterization, comparability, and quality
sections of regulatory submissions (INDs/CTDs).
- Engage and influence the broader scientific community through
publications and poster and oral presentations at industry
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with 4+
years of relevant industry experience (or comparable combination of
degree and experience) for Senior Scientist II. Position may be a
lower level based on degree and total years of relevant experience
in industry and academia.
- Must possess a solid understanding of protein chemistry and
biochemistry, particularly as related to biotherapeutic protein
- Experience representing analytical development function on
cross-functional project teams.
- Experience planning and coordinating analytical development
projects involving multiple contributors and stakeholders is
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and performing capillary
electrophoresis and HPLC methods as they apply to protein
- Experience with CMC analytical development of monoclonal
antibodies or related biotherapeutic proteins is required.
- Proven record of advanced technical/scientific achievement and
- Quality control and/or GMP experience is beneficial.
- Must have strong written and verbal communications
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, collaborative
environment and managing multiple concurrent projects with a high
degree of independence.
**Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: AbbVie, San Francisco , Senior Scientist II, Protein Analytical Chemistry, CMC Biologics, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!