Discovery Operations Lead
Company: Pharmacyclics, LLC
Posted on: February 23, 2019
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer. More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer. To learn more about us, please visit us at We are seeking a Discovery Operations Associate II. General Position Summary/Purpose:
- We are seeking a Discovery Operations Associate II with experience in the daily operations that will support, manage, and facilitate activities in the Discovery wet lab that support the activities of Biology, Chemistry, DMPK, and Translational Medicine departments. The candidate will be working closely with senior staff members and be accountable for the execution and handling of lab needs, including but not limited to: developing and maintaining the compound repository, compound and cell line handling, storage, banking, and distribution, optimal conditioning/maintenance of lab equipment/instruments with software/hardware connections, and procurement activities.
- Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Support the transition from manual stores to an automated storage and retrieval system for compound DMSO stocks
- Weekly compound processing including preparation of powders and DMSO stock solutions from in-house chemists, as well as local/international CRO/Collaborators; works independently for sending/receipt of shipments, verification, processing, and storage of samples
- Daily compound retrieval and distribution for assay screening upon established project workflows and one-off requests from various researchers to ensure on-time delivery to support Discovery departments
- Manage compound inventory for short/long term storage, and update sample tracking system with LIMS database and/or spreadsheets
- Inventory control and ordering of laboratory supplies and reagents using our procurement system (Microsoft A/X) - receipt and delivery of incoming packages, checking for expired reagents, following up on orders, etc.; Good communication with staff and external vendors is essential
- Ensure proper functioning of computers interfaced with lab instruments and their routine backup functions are enabled, which includes collaboration with IT personnel; prepare a log book for all relevant lab equipment
- Be an advocate for lab safety and work with EHS team to ensure all biohazard and chemical waste are removed and disposed of properly.
- Secondary goal may be to manage inventory of bio-samples, including cell lines.
- Quality control and maintenance of master and working cell line banks (BSL-1, BSL-2) for Discovery departments; Maintains end-to-end traceability of all biological materials and associated data sets (e.g. mycoplasma test results) Qualifications/Experience/Education Requirements:
- A BS/MS or equivalent degree in chemistry and/or biological sciences with at least 7 years working full time in a laboratory setting either in an academia or industry
- Extensive experience in robotics, such as automated storage systems and operating/programming various liquid handlers to facilitate compound sample processing is highly desirable
- Working knowledge and experience with inventory/request database systems for compound and biological sample management is highly preferred
- Good knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel) including purchasing process system (Microsoft Dynamics AX and Apttus) and maintaining spreadsheets is a must.
- Past proven effectiveness in lab sample operations is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, collaborative drive to work with peers, partners, and others, including individuals outside of the team and functional area, to develop important relationships with staff and key stakeholders; should have good conflict management skills
- Results and detail-oriented; self-motivated
- Proficient knowledge of overall drug development process relevant to pharmaceutical and/or biotech organizations Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Keywords: Pharmacyclics, LLC, San Francisco , Discovery Operations Lead, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!