Life Science Research Professional
Company: Stanford Medicine
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research
Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved
in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze
The Canary Center at Stanford is a world-class research facility
dedicated to cancer early detection programs. Our mission is to
discover and implement minimally invasive diagnostic and imaging
strate-gies for the detection and prognostication of cancers at
early, curable stages. The Canary Center is the first in the world
to integrate research on both in vivo and in vitro diagnostics to
deliver these tests, by housing state-of-the-art facilities and
collaborative research programs in molecular imaging, proteomics,
chemistry, cell and molecular biology, and bioinformatics. These
initiatives have extensive links to the Stanford Cancer Institute,
forming a direct pipeline for translation of early cancer detection
research into clinical trials and practice.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments with cells, clinical samples
and extraceullular vesicles; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- BA/BS degree in biology, molecular biology, immunology, or
- Previous lab experience more than 3 years preferred.
- Experience with dealing human clinical samples, centriguagtion,
molecular and immunological assays, FACS sorting and analysis,
transfection, DNA/RNA/protein purification methods.
- Experience with various DNA-, RNA- and protein-based laboratory
techniques including PCR and Western blot analyses.
- Attention to detail when performing experiments, analyzing data
and reporting findings.
- Be able to follow well-established protocols under supervision
and get expected results on his/her own.
- Fully understand each step and reagent in experiments and ask
whenever not clear.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL:
- Requisition ID: 94160 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, San Francisco , Life Science Research Professional, Other , Piedmont, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!