Excellence Leaves a Lasting
Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity
in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting
on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We
aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to
clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better
world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now
employs 14,000 people globally.? Since its founding in 1946,
members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working.
Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on
ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for
cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing
together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines,
investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for
clients and the wider world.?
This position will be with the
Advanced Technology and Research (AT+R) team in San Francisco, in
the area of risk and resilience. The AT+R team is a leader for
technical innovation at Arup, creating new services and digital
tools from cutting edge technologies and methods, to advance Arup
into new markets which usher in a safer, healthier, sustainable and
resilient future. We are a multi-disciplinary team with deep
technical expertise. We apply first principles of engineering and
leverage our digital expertise to address our client’s burning
questions and develop inventive, creative, and practical solutions.
We can virtually simulate almost anything in the built environment
to predict performance impacts and implications for an
organization, communities, and their people, enabling us to gain
important insights and provide strategic advice of the highest
technical caliber for confident decision-making.
As a risk and resilience consultant,
you will support our mission to help shape a better world and to
simulate our clients’ resilient futures. Through your work, you
will help to advance and implement cutting edge methods that keeps
Arup at the forefront of our industry.
• Undertake, deliver, and manage qualitative and quantitative risk
assessments for multiple hazards including earthquakes, flood, sea
level rise, wind, and climate change
• Develop mitigation, adaptation, and resilience strategies for
building and infrastructure projects and portfolios,
corporations/institutions, and cities/communities.
• Collaborate with others within the firm on projects that can
benefit from your expertise.
• Provide general support to the growth of the Risk and Resilience
Consulting business, including client development and general
business development efforts as well as the strategic direction of
the AT+R team more broadly.
• Minimum of a 4-year degree in Civil Engineering. An MS, PhD, or
MBA in engineering, science, business, or risk management is
desirable but not required.
• 1-3 years of experience in practice or research
•The following skills and experiences are required:
• Understanding of factors which
influence the resilience of buildings and other physical
infrastructure, organizations, and communities
• Strong coding skills to enable engineering risk calculations and
interactive visualization tools for communicating risk
• Exceptional communication, negotiation, influencing, and
The following skills and experiences
• Probabilistic risk modeling and familiarity with methodologies
such as FEMA P-58
• Application of performance-based engineering and simulation
• Coursework and/or practical experience in computer programming or
• Subject matter expertise with one or more hazards such as
earthquake, wind, wildfire, or flood
• Interest in climate science and understanding of climate change
• An understanding of the effects of climate change and strategies
• Licensed Professional Engineer or willingness to pursue
• Understanding of vulnerability and risk assessment methods for
utility and transit networks
• Portfolio risk modeling (including familiarity with HAZUS,
OpenQuake, etc.) and appreciation for influence of spatial
correlation on portfolio risk
• An appreciation for the intersection of insurance, risk, and
resilience and a willingness to pursue opportunities in this
• Collaboration with local governments, universities, non-profits,
building code bodies, etc. in developing codes and public policies
• Familiarity with resilience tools and guidelines such as the City
Resilience Framework and the REDi Rating System
• Strong client and stakeholder engagement skills including the
ability to aid in development of resilience objectives, communicate
risk, develop mitigation and operations continuity strategies
• Experience developing cost-benefit analyses across a range of
risk reduction or resilience strategies
As a consultant, you will have demonstrated a growing competence in
the following areas:
• Technical excellence
• Project delivery
• Project Management
• Customer focus
• Digital technology
Share your passion and experience in
a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is
endless. This is your opportunity to shine.??
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare,
10% 401k match, time off and profit share.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.