Telecommunications Attendant Trainee
Company: Stanford University
Posted on: June 13, 2021
- Under general supervision, Telecommunications Attendants act as
the primary point of public contact to answer, process, page and
direct calls serving the faculty, staff and students of the
University, Medical Centers and SLAC. This includes handling the
critical calls associated with Stanford Health Care and Stanford
- Report directly to the Supervisor of the Operator Services
Center (OSC) and work under the daily routine direction of the
shift Leader. Attendants work independently as well as share group
responsibilities with other employees as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed under the Duties/Responsibilities section are
designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or
responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to
be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the
- Provide directory listings and information; connect callers to
the appropriate department, faculty or staff member, physician,
patient or student; establish conference calls.
- Dispatch medical emergency teams for the Medical Center in
response to medical alert notifications (e.g., cardiac arrest,
trauma, fire, chemical spills, disaster recovery, and police
- Process quick response maintenance calls for Land Building and
Real Estate (Academic Buildings), Residential & Dining Enterprises
(Student Housing), Environmental Health & Safety, generate
appropriate work orders, thorough documentation of calls and
actions taken, following dispatching and emergency procedures.
- Provide off-hours coverage and support for Stanford
- Utilize call center and collaboration applications and systems
to ensure first call resolutions.
- Participate in process and performance improvement efforts:
This includes regularly acting as a mentor to co-workers in the
effort to improve call handling and customer services skills,
assisting with training of co-workers, and reviewing, updating, and
suggesting improvements to processes and process
Minimum Education and Experience Required
High school diploma or equivalent. (GED) and one year in Telecom
Attendant Trainee position.
Must have one year of telecom attendant trainee experience.
- Experience working in a customer service-oriented environment,
with demonstrated ability to handle high volumes of calls,
preferably in a university or medical center setting.
- Polished telephone etiquette and manner, and ability to
communicate clearly and effectively in English; reading, writing
and spelling skills.
- Ability to interface effectively with high-level professionals,
managers, supervisors, and other clients.
- Ability to multitask, exercise tact, diplomacy, good judgment
under pressure, and to hold information confidentially such as
patient information, according to HIPAA (patient privacy
- Ability to operate telecommunications equipment, with
demonstrated computerized keyboard skills (corrected typing rate of
40-50 words per minute), head set, phone usage and basic computer
(PC or MAC) skills.
- Experience working in a customer service environment, with
demonstrated ability to handle high call volumes, use multiple
phone lines, 2-way radio usage, preferably in a University and/or a
Medical Center setting.
- Hands-on experience with MS Windows systems and complex console
operations, such as the Spok System which interfaces with the
University registry, paging systems, hospital public address
system, automatic call distribution (ACD system).
- Ability to work in a team environment and effectively
contribute as a member of a team.
- Have a thorough knowledge of Stanford (University, Medical
Center, SLAC), of dispatch procedures and routines, and a knowledge
of medical terminology and disciplines.
- Constantly stand/walk, sitting, use a computer, use a
telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Ability to be on duty without leaving the console for three or
more hours at a time.
- May be required to work overtime on weekends holidays, or on
changing and/or unscheduled shifts; requires maintaining means of
contact during off-hours (for example, a current telephone number
- Required to remain on duty without leaving the console for
three or more hours at a time.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by
positions in this job classification and are not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and
responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs
without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level
of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative
action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the
collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU
Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 2908
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A20
- Requisition ID: 89266
Keywords: Stanford University, San Francisco , Telecommunications Attendant Trainee, Other , Stanford, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!