Senior CEQA/NEPA Planner/ Project Manager
Company: Swca Inc
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posted on: June 12, 2021
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a highly experienced,
self-directed Senior CEQA/NEPA Planner and Project Manager to
expand our successful and well-established planning services within
the Bay Area and Northern California. The ideal candidate will:
- Possess and cultivate strong existing client contacts in
multiple business lines (g., energy and utilities, land
development, transportation, water resources, and federal, state,
and local agencies),
- Maintain a proven track record of creating and developing new
business opportunities, and
- Manage large-scale and complex projects.
As a senior manager, you will:
- Develop and mentor staff to meet their career goals while
balancing the need to meet SWCA's financial targets,
- Directly contribute towards SWCA's strategic growth goals,
- Contribute to a professional working environment where people
are inspired to bring their best work in order to foster the
continued growth of SWCA
This is a regular, full-time, salaried position that is a career
growth opportunity to join SWCA's expanding California CEQA/NEPA
Practice in Northern California. This position will be tied to
SWCA's Bay Area offices but can be located anywhere in Northern
SWCA's Northern California operations offer a diverse
environmental team and a variety of exciting projects throughout
the state. We are looking to capitalize upon our Northern
California CEQA/NEPA Planning Practice to expand on our existing
services and work in tandem with our CEQA and NEPA experts across
the region. This position has tremendous opportunity for growth, as
it will directly contribute to growing our practice in the nation's
largest market for environmental services. This position is ideal
for an experienced and ambitious individual who is looking to
advance their career as both a CEQA/NEPA practitioner and as a
manager/mentor to our staff.
What you will accomplish
- Manage multidisciplinary projects and project teams of SWCA
staff and sub-consultants with large and complex projects.
- Meet milestones within schedule and budgetary expectations and
maintain accountability for quality assurance/quality control
oversight of deliverables, including process improvement, standard
operating procedures, data management and analysis, and reporting
- Encourage innovation in the program, develop new internal
process improvements and technical approaches, and create a plan
for their implementation.
- Prepare CEQA/NEPA scopes of work, schedules, and budgets and
ensure that projects deliverables are technically sound, quality,
schedule, and budget objectives.
- Provide strategic CEQA/NEPA regulatory support on
- Develop and execute client and public presentations to
governmental agencies, boards, commissions, and stakeholders.
- Take initiative to resolve problems and identify improved
procedures to assure client needs are met effectively.
- Foster new client relationships and strengthen existing client
relationships and conduct ongoing business development with
- Lead and contribute to business development efforts in the
Northern California, including client outreach, opportunity
tracking, attendance at pre-bid meetings, preparation of proposals,
and conducting interviews and presentations.
- Manage the performance of individual projects and effectively
coordinate with clients and agencies to produce technically
excellent work that is on time and on budget.
- Identify and evaluate changing market conditions and strategic
sales opportunities (new clients and geographies).
- Lead proposal efforts and internal business development groups
and take a lead role in the go/no go decisions in concert with the
Planning Team Lead and Director.
- Develop deep and productive relationships within industry
organizations and with agency staff to expand the regional client
base, in line with the region's strategic goals.
- Conduct business development, including client outreach,
preparing proposals, and conducting interviews and
- Win, lead, plan, and manage multi-objective documents (both
CEQA and NEPA) prepared for a variety of projects and environmental
compliance projects throughout the region.
- Work closely with other project managers and directors
throughout the company to promote SWCA's business interests in
adherences to its mission, vision, and values.
- Direct, manage and mentor an internal team of SWCA staff with
diverse levels of experience and expertise.
- Facilitate communication and collaborate within our regional
environmental planning team, other discipline leaders, and
- Advise the Planning Team Lead and Director on staff hires,
advancement, and course correction, as needed.
- Audit projects quarterly, identify and mitigate project
challenges to avoid overruns and ensure profitability.
Contribute to expanding SWCA's professional reputation in
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor's degree in environmental planning or a related field.
Master's degree and American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
certification a plus.
- A minimum of at least 12 years of combined experience in
project management and applicable and progressive experience
preparing environmental documents, managing staff, and overseeing
technical quality, preferably experience within the Bay Area and
- Candidate should have an extensive working knowledge of federal
and California environmental regulations (e.g., CEQA, NEPA, NHPA,
CWA, and ESA).
- Experience leading business development efforts and proposals
to secure new opportunities with new clientele.
- Active member in professional groups or associations.
- Deep, existing client relationships in the Bay Area and
Northern California, and the capacity to develop client
relationships and seek out new opportunities.
- The motivation and drive to identify, win and secure work.
- Will be able to travel as needed for projects throughout
California, as COVID-19 restrictions allow.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm,
providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. Our Vision
(the North Star) is to make SWCA the best workplace and industry
leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative
solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a
dedication to employee-ownership. We are #OneSWCA; we collaborate,
we are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack. We are
100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. With
offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest
environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering
News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a supportive,
team-oriented work environment and competitive wages and benefits,
including an 100% employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
If you are seeking an opportunity to work in a culture of
exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound
science and creative solutions, then SWCA will be a great fit for
you! If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility
of our website or need assistance completing the application
process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517.
This contact information is for accommodation requests only and
cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages
women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to
Keywords: Swca Inc, San Francisco , Senior CEQA/NEPA Planner/ Project Manager, Other , Half Moon Bay, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!