Broadband State Policy Fellow
Company: Common Sense Media
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Common Sense (https://www.commensensemedia.org/)
is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to
improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the
trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need
to thrive in the 21st century.
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/)
is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted
to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and
technology. Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense
for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest
library of independent age-based and educational ratings and
reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and
learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, Apple TV,
DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids
make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide
educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital
citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed.
More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings
and free curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers,
industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media and
education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking a broadband state policy fellow to manage Common
Sense's state-level digital divide broadband outreach and advocacy
agenda, and support connectivity work at the federal level. Common
Sense is an independent voice for kids, families, and communities
everywhere. We combine original research with game-changing
advocacy efforts to make the digital world better for all kids and
families. Our advocacy work highlights legislation and private
sector changes that will strengthen the overall well-being of
children, technology, and digital media, and it identifies
LOCATION: Flexible (and remote during the coronavirus
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Director, equity policy
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Occasional as needed for state advocacy
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Track states' digital divide proposals (including broadband
infrastructure deployment, subsidized broadband programs, broadband
mapping/assessments, digital inclusion programs), and support
actions and proposals that prioritize closing the digital divide
for all families and businesses.
- Educate state and federal lawmakers and officials on broadband
policies that support closing the digital divide for all families
- Support federal efforts to close the digital divide as
- Support state officials to maximize use of federal funding for
- Cultivate relationships with industry leaders, advocates, and
lawmakers to support policies to close the digital divide.
- Convene interested stakeholders and help to create reports,
educational materials, and public-facing resources related to
closing the digital divide.
- Other duties as needed that are appropriate to this
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in broadband
- Familiarity with state policy process.
- Previous work history in advocacy, tech, and/or state or
- Graduate, law, public policy, or engineering degree preferred
but not required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and interpersonal
- The chance to work with talented, passionate
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical,
dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of
kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an
equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values,
please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants
with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on
the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal
background check. If the background check indicates a prior
criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment
to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of
Keywords: Common Sense Media, San Francisco , Broadband State Policy Fellow, Other , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!