Lead Embedded Systems Software Engineer
Company: Sequoia Capital
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver
critical and life-saving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving
millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide
every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies.
Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of
people. About You and The Role Zipline is growing our team and
needs embedded systems leaders that are excited to solve problems
in real-time safety-critical software, together with an excellent
team. You will work side-by-side with engineers to solve technical
problems. You will set ambitious goals, hold yourself and your team
accountable, set technical standards, hire engineers that are
smarter than yourself, and build a resilient and deeply fulfilled
team to tackle challenges of ever increasing difficulty. At Zipline
we value Servant Leadership; we have the opportunity -- and
responsibility -- to serve our species with each delivery we make.
We rely on every Zipliner to be a leader, regardless of their role
or tenure, but we have very high expectations for those with people
leadership responsibilities at Zipline. Our leaders are here to
serve those around them, and make more leaders--not followers. They
listen carefully and do whatever it takes to help those around them
be extraordinary. They often do this at the cost of their own ego
and prestige. It is imperative that the Embedded Systems Lead lives
by this value as well. We will expect you to empower and strengthen
the team, model the behaviors you want to see, and achieve
excellence! Zipline designs and operates the world-'s largest drone
delivery service providing access to critical medical supplies.
Leading the way in drone delivery often means exceeding the
capabilities of what-'s available off the shelf and as a result we
are engineering the majority of our system in-house. Doubling down
on the reliability of our systems and inventing new robots is a
critical path to delivering to our next billion customers--people
whose lives will be meaningfully affected by smarter, more
equitable access. Zipliners are forces of nature: We have been able
to achieve things that most believe to be impossible. What You'll
- Build your team by driving an inclusive hiring process that
holds a high bar.
- Exponentially increase the reliability of Zipline-'s take-off
and landing systems, harnessing skills in safety-critical embedded
systems and controls and dynamics to perform a flawless recovery
- Spearhead the development of embedded software for Zipline-'s
next generation aircraft to enable Zipline to serve new
- Create and execute on a plan to strategically burn down
technical debt and gaps in test coverage.--
- Develop new drivers and embedded software to enable new
telemetry systems to empower flight operators to fix systems ASAP
so patient-'s medical products are never delayed.
- Give constant direct feedback to both cross-functional and
direct team members.
- Harden the cellular communications stack from cellular driver
to internet protocol to ensure reliable and continuous command and
- Select, implement and demonstrate the functionality of a
high-precision GPS system to allow for accurate delivery at a
fraction of the cost.
- Find ways to make the codebase better for other engineers
through every feature your team builds, for example removing tech
debt or cruft, adding debugging or logging tools, increasing test
coverage, improving toolchains or build times, etc. What You'll
- Sufficient technical experience or background to effectively
lead lean technical programs.
- Prior experience in fast-paced, high-growth environments like
- An entrepreneurial disposition; you are able to creatively
solve hard problems, get up to speed quickly, and bring a curious,
can-do zest to all the challenges you face.
- The ability to thrive leading in structured and unstructured
environments, including early stage in blue sky innovative programs
and late stage in high-reliability program lifecycles.
- Passion for developing and coaching growing engineers.
- A customer-centric mindset and the capacity to ruthlessly
prioritize the development of new technology.
- Success deploying safety-critical electromechanical systems to
- Experience developing software on an embedded real time
operating system or embedded Linux.
- Experience designing, simulating and implementing control
algorithms in C.
- Strength in C and Python; fluency in C++ or Rust a plus.
- Familiarity with RS-485, I2C, CANbus, Ethernet, SPI, and
- Familiarity with electrical design, including schematic review
and component selection. The ideal candidate may not have all of
the following skills and experience. If any of these apply, you
might be a good fit! What Else You Need To Know Zipline is an equal
opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of
any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex,
national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or
our own sensibilities. We value diversity at Zipline and welcome
applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in
tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if
you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Keywords: Sequoia Capital, San Francisco , Lead Embedded Systems Software Engineer, Other , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!