Systems Engineer - Connected Infotainment Core Services
Company: Volkswagen Group of America
Posted on: March 28, 2020
VW. Two letters. Endless opportunities. A bright future.
Innovation. Sophistication. Optimization. This is our Passion.
Worldwide, the Volkswagen Group has a long tradition of dramatic
innovations. The Volkswagen Group with its headquarters in
Wolfsburg is one of the world's leading automobile manufacturers
and the largest carmaker in Europe. The Group comprises twelve
brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen Passenger Cars,
Audi, SEAT, --KODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati,
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN. Here in the US, we
are blending German engineering with American ingenuity.
At the Innovation & Engineering Center California (IECC), we
represent the Volkswagen Group in applied research and development.
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, we create bold new ideas
for the Volkswagen, Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Porsche
brands. We're a team of engineers, designers, scientists, and
psychologists looking to develop innovations for future generations
of cars, and to transfer technologies from many industries and
research institutions into the automotive domain. Our mission is to
drive change which means we are not only impacting one of the
world's largest car makers, but also the lives of millions of
people. Are you ready to join us?
- The Systems Engineer is one of the key systems engineers (FO)
creating functional and technical requirements for the VW Connected
Infotainment projects including the E2E environment.
- In this role, Core Services Systems Engineer will be
responsible for all aspects of the Core Services, from requirement
gathering, design, development, and test and validation.
- This position is part of a team that focuses on the series
development support of Connected Infotainment systems with
particular relevance to the US and Canadian markets. People most
suited for this position are able to derive technical systems from
market-driven ideas, assertively work with suppliers building trust
and finding common ground solutions, and work well in a
Lead integration activities for VW Connected Infotainment
- Integration of SW releases and vehicle HW for ICAS1, ICAS3,
- Track versions and functionality of supplier SW HW modules that
will be used for E2E testing of MOD/MIB systems
- Create compatibility matrix with the purpose of which versions
of HW modules and components can be used for testing
- Create a SW version matrix for all the HW modules and their
- Keep track of bug fixes for all relevant HW modules
- Keep track of HW/SW versions used in test cars and test
- Keep track of HW configuration and versions used in the test
racks and used for E2E testing and validation
- Create a HW/SW test strategy for all individual HW modules and
for the system as whole
- Work closely with the supplier and integrators to understand
and document their SW/HW release cycles
- Work closely with test coordinator to maintain transparency in
testing process and used HW/SW releases
- Reporting to project manager
- Communicate test contents and results to VW Group using
advanced equipment and standardized systems for error reporting,
prepare regular project status reports
- Error and Bug-Fix verification
- Support correct test environment for validation and approval
- System and error analysis
- Pre-analyze system behavior in error situations
- Use state-of-the art testing, logging and analysis tools
Years of Experience
- 5-7 years in a product development role within a Connected
Infotainment environment for an Automotive OEM or Tier-1 supplier -
proven record of start-to-finish lead role.
- 2 years of SW development experience, preferably in the area of
Web or Mobile apps development.
- Bachelor degree in engineering (Electrical, Telecommunications,
Automotive, Computer Science, Information Technologies, Systems
Engineering). Masters preferred.
Functional areas:Connected Infotainment Core Services
- Proven record as a Systems Engineer within the automotive
industry, take business/marketing concepts or user stories and
translate them to detailed engineering specifications
- Closely working with developers, and designers to deliver
- concepts or user stories and translate them to detailed
- Ability to create, read, and modify event based technical
sequence diagrams (UML)
- Ability, at the technical level, to collaborate with systems
architect and developers to create and implement functional and
technical requirement documents
- Experience in tracing, debugging, and analyzing system
- Work with the test and validation team to create test
- Defines and tracks work packages for function related
- Understanding of cloud-based technologies and communication
protocols (MQTT, HTTP, REST API)
- Deep knowledge of product development and validation lifecycle
within the automotive industry, preferably VWoA, all the way from
product request to SOP
- Prior experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Ability to clearly define technical and functional requirements
for the suppliers
- Give clear and unbiased assessment of project status and needs
to partners, stakeholders and management.
- Proven problem-solving skills knowledge and experience on the
- Able to work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, time-line and
target oriented work environment
- Good people and test resource management - functional and
- Excellent communication skills - presentation, written and
- Able to continuously question and challenge the status-quo,
always documenting and applying the lessons learned
- Team player with good collaboration and integration skills -
joining people, processes and systems
- California State driving license
- Good understanding of both embedded and cloud-based
- Detailed knowledge of functionality of vehicle online services
- Creating technical and functional requirements
- Automotive Communication protocols knowledge: CAN, MOST,
- Exceptional communication with internal / external partners,
stakeholders, and project affiliates and management.
- Experience in integration and testing of Vehicle, IT
Architecture Backend, and Frontend Systems.
- Experience interfacing with 3rd party content
- Analytical skills. Proven record of active engagement in
- Motivated team player with positive attitude and strong work
- Understanding of user requirements in an automotive environment
with previous engagement in market-oriented product development
(e.g. requirement specification).
- German language
- Devotion for high quality, ability to find and expose quality
insufficiencies in automotive electronics systems.
- Knowledge of automotive infotainment
- Passion for cars and car electronics
- Prior experience of working with OEM design
- Computer savvy with previous programming experience
- IOT Technologies knowledge (APIs, MQTT, Cloud
- Ability to work flexible schedule. Domestic (U.S.) and
International (Canada & Europe/Germany) travel is required (up to
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free
workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Keywords: Volkswagen Group of America, San Francisco , Systems Engineer - Connected Infotainment Core Services, Other , Belmont, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!