Economic Justice Staff Attorney
Company: National Organization of Social Security Claimants
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: May 15, 2022
161 Airport Executive Park, Nanuet, NY 10954 BayLegal's San
Francisco -Economic Justice / Social Security Disability -Advocacy
practice team -is growing! We seek attorneys (2) -with -a -strong
-commitment -to -the -public -interest -and -social -justice
-advocacy to join our team. -This position is based in our San
Francisco office, representing unhoused San Franciscans with
-public benefits claims - primarily, eligibility for Social
Security disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI),
and the Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI), with a focus
on homelessness, disability rights, and economic justice. -The
position requires outreach at city shelters, including Shelter in
Place hotels, and partner organizations, as well as travel in the
city/county as necessary to best serve our clients. As a member of
BayLegal's regional practice, there may also be travel within
BayLegal's broader service area for purposes of meeting with
clients and as necessary for training and advocacy. -See below for
a description of our current work environment due to
COVID-19.Duties & Responsibilities - As an Economic Justice
Attorney, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about and advocate for the diverse legal needs of
communities affected by systemic and structural inequities in San
Francisco and the broader Bay Area to reduce homelessness, enhance
economic and housing stability, improve social determinants of
health, and advance social and racial justice.
- Represent clients in a range of public benefits matters,
including primarily Social Security disability benefits, SSI and
CAPI claims and appeals.
- Represent clients in all stages of administrative proceedings
related to their public benefits claims, from initial applications
through federal court.
- Assist clients with accessing other county, state, and federal
benefit programs, as needed.
- Identify and employ impact advocacy strategies to remove
systematic barriers to public benefits for client populations,
including particularly vulnerable groups such as people
experiencing homelessness and people with disabilities.
- Develop relationships and engage in collaboration with a range
of public and private community partners, including governmental
agencies and community-based organizations, to outreach clients,
ensure integrative services and address systemic barriers facing
BayLegal's client community.
- Provide workshops and technical assistance to community
partners and client community on economic justice, disability
advocacy, and a broad range of civil legal issues.
- Work collaboratively with attorneys practicing in BayLegal's
other substantive areas.
- Work closely with BayLegal's development, grants and contracts,
and communications team to promote BayLegal's mission and resource
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further BayLegal's
mission and operations as a non-profit.
- Must have received or be willing to receive and maintain
up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) by
date of hire to be considered.Requirements/Qualifications/About
-the -Successful -Candidate:
- Humility -in working -with -colleagues and -clients -across the
spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity,
sexual orientation, socio-economic status, -immigrant status,
religious identity, -physical -and -mental -disabilities, -and/or
limited English proficiency.
- Commitment and -desire to work with low-income and unhoused
- Member of CA Bar in good standing or admitted to practice in
another state and eligible to practice in California for 3 years
under the California State Bar rules for the Registered Legal
Services Attorney Program. Candidates who have recently passed the
CA Bar or graduated and will be taking the bar exam at the next
sitting are welcome to apply.
- Experience with government benefits programs, especially Social
Security disability/SSI benefits, preferred.
- Experience with impact litigation and/or policy advocacy
- Strong -personal -work -ethic -and -ability -to -organize
-time, -manage diverse -activities, -and -meet -critical -deadlines
-with -minimal -supervision.
- Excellent -writing, -editing, -and -proof-reading -skills,
-with -ability -to -be -detail oriented.
- Strong oral advocacy skills; thoughtful and attentive to client
- Strong -interpersonal -skills -and -an -ability -to -work
-collaboratively -with -a -dynamic -team.
- Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what
needs to be done.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while
maintaining a fim grasp of individual project details.
- 161 Airport Executive Park, Nanuet, NY 10954
Keywords: National Organization of Social Security Claimants, San Francisco , Economic Justice Staff Attorney, Legal , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!