Web Software Engineer (Remote)
Company: Narrative I/O
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: June 26, 2022
About NarrativeNarrative is the leading Data Commerce Platform
making buying and selling data easier than ever before. With a
suite of world-class apps, Narrative's platform is radically
changing a fractured, convoluted landscape fraught with manual
processes, opaque business practices, and middlemen.
What You Will DoHere's what you will do in a nutshell:
- Create new features for Narrative's Vuejs web application. Work
with Product and Design teams to create the best user experience
and create modular, maintainable components.
- Design, implement and maintain embedded applications on
Narrative's Data Marketplace which enhance the ability of customers
to manage and manipulate data.
- Dig into Scala and create new API endpoints to serve the
- Help select technologies and define the strategic direction for
our system architecture
- Work on Narrative's Tacklebox UI library, designing creating
reusable components and modules for use in all of Narrative's web
- Review and evaluate team members' code contributions,
delivering transparent, honest and direct feedback to your
While most of the work focuses on the frontend, this position is
ideal for someone who would like to improve his/her backend and
Functional Programming skills.
Technical StackIn a nutshell, our technical stack looks like:
- Backend: Big Data, scala, AWS, spark, cats, cats-effect, http4s
- Ops: EC2, Fargate, Lambda, Terraform, EMR, DynamoDB, S3, RDS,
Step Functions, Jenkins, and Datadog
Read more about our technical stack here:
The Ideal CandidateWe are not looking for a 100% fit on all the
technology buzzwords, but we are looking for someone with strong
personal and technical skills who is eager to pick up new
technologies as necessary. We are obviously going to expect much
more from a senior candidate than we would from a junior one.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have extensive experience in one or more web frameworks (Vue,
- Have proven experience using Amazon Web Services to deploy and
host web applications and databases.
- Be able to debug various aspects of web application code, such
- Thoroughly understand the HTTP lifecycle and how the browser
interacts with web APIs.
- Enjoy building fast, user-friendly UIs.
- Not be afraid of contributing to the entire stack when the need
arises, given that frontend doesn't simply mean HTML/CSS. For
instance, a feature might require some metrics to be computed from
a Spark Report, creating a PostgreSQL migration script tweaking S3
permissions and terraform scripts for deployment
- Have strong experience using a version management system and
continuous integration (CI) development process. We use Git/Github
for version management and Gitlab for our CI pipelines.
- Have the ability to lead the creation of architectural and
design documents, collect requirements as well as feedback from the
development and product teams and evaluate new technologies as
- Be able to transform product designs into coherent, working and
robust code solutions.
- Communicate potential technical issues to relevant teams and
adapt to changing requirements.
- Be able to interface with technical and non-technical team
members in order to bring business ideas to fruition.
- Be mindful of the compromises that need to be done to be
reactive on the business side while keeping the systems manageable
in the long run.
- Live/work within +/- 3 hours of EST
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits...we may be a
small company now, but we still know what's important!
- Flexible work location-come to the office to collaborate with
the team in-person, or work from home on the days you need to
- Unlimited paid time off
- Great people: Surround yourself with a team of people that has
a shared vision and focus, lots of drive, but likes to have fun
along the way.
- Great experience: Be a core part of a growing, quickly evolving
business. Learn fast, fail fast, and grow your skillset every step
of the way.
- Equity: Have some skin in the game and grow with the
Narrative provides equal employment opportunities to all employees
and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and
harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local
laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of
employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,
compensation, and training.
Keywords: Narrative I/O, San Francisco , Web Software Engineer (Remote), IT / Software / Systems , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!