Senior Software Engineer, Database Engineering
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Type of work
San Francisco, USA or Remote
At Cube Dev, we are building the API layer for data apps.
We are focused on developer success, bottom-up adoption, and open
source. Cube.js, our flagship open-source product, has 11,000 stars
on GitHub and 4,000 developers in the community Slack. Cube.js is
used by companies ranging from Apple, Intel, and Walmart to
fast-growing Silicon Valley startups.
Currently, we are a 20-person remote-first team distributed over
the US, UK, and Europe with an HQ in San Francisco. Having raised
our Series A in July 2021, we're funded by top-tier Silicon Valley
venture funds that have previously invested in Redis, Hazelcast,
Gradle, and other infrastructure software startups.
As an engineer of the Cube.js Core team, your main goal will be to
build and maintain various parts of open-source Cube.js Core (),
community support in our Slack, as well as development of Cube
Some of the things you'll be working on
- SQL generation and rewriting. Cube.js is a simple yet powerful
way to organize SQL queries. The Cube.js way is to generate the
best possible SQL query for a given database while abstracting all
complex stuff from users and giving them full power of SQL at the
same time. To solve this problem, Cube.js parses SQL queries
written by users to understand the structure and rewrites them to
apply performance optimizations.
- Cube Store. Cube.js is used to serve analytics for trillions of
data points with sub-second response times. To keep up-to-date with
growing big data demands and serving speeds we're developing our
own database optimized for serving huge aggregated tables with
latencies of several milliseconds.
- Cube.js APM. One of the main tech problems for Cube Cloud is to
provide APM analytics of Cube.js instances using Cube.js itself.
Being purely a dog food problem, large-scale real-time analytics
has a lot of challenges, most of which will be solved for the first
time ever using the SQL approach.
- Expert in database algorithms and data structures: columnar vs
row storage, SQL parsing, query planning, indexes, partitioning,
join algorithms, filter pushdown optimizations, HLL.
- Expert in C++, Rust, or any other low-level language.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluent English.
- Previous startup experience or interest in working in a small
- Expert in at least one of the high-level VM languages such as
Node.js, Ruby, Python, Java, Scala, C#, or similar.
- Experience with contributing to or the maintenance of an
- Experience in data engineering, building analytics
applications, or OLAP.
- Experience with Docker and k8s, AWS, GCP.
Keywords: Cube.js, San Francisco , Senior Software Engineer, Database Engineering, IT / Software / Systems , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!