Software Quality Assurance Lead
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global
market leader in press release distribution and regulatory
disclosure. We are on a mission to redefine how organizations
connect with their audiences - and that's just the beginning!
Organizations, big and small, depend on us to accurately publicize
market-moving news and multimedia, host online newsrooms and
investor relations websites, and generate social engagements that
continuously develop interactions with their target audience. Role
Summary The software quality assurance team at Business Wire is a
mix of QA engineers and test automation engineers working on a
wide-array of applications ranging from legacy to cloud. We support
multiple development teams in several product areas. We focus on
continuous improvement and finding better ways to test so that we
can deliver great software and products. We are a diverse team, and
we are always learning. We are increasingly using automation to
extend and improve our testing, but you will be heavily focused on
manual testing and improving how we test manually. The software QA
lead has deep technical and domain experience and provides team
leadership through planning and coordinating test projects and
company quality processes. The lead also provides mentorship to the
QA Engineers through example and constructive guidance. You will
provide tactical leadership during test projects, adjusting
priorities to support the test and quality needs for the Business
Wire applications. You will be continually pushing the boundaries
of what (and how) we test, and you will constantly be looking for
ways to improve our processes to yield ever-better quality
outcomes. Role Responsibilities
- Partner with development and Product teams to understand
features, and then plan the test projects.
- Perform functional area mapping to identify tests, and
coordinate the writing of those tests in our test case management
- Partner with the test automation engineers to identify and
prioritize automatable tests.
- Partner with the Release Manager to identify and coordinate
testing for deploy events, and improve that test coverage.
- Maintain quality dashboards for test project health, report on
test project status to stakeholders, and maintain the visibility
into the QA team's planning and activities.
- Run test automation as needed, locally or as build system
- Run manual tests, lots of manual tests. Automation is
important, but manual testing will be the majority of your focus to
- Maintain a broad and deep understanding of our applications
(which includes web sites, APIs, SaaS integrations, cloud native
services, and more).
- Provide procedural, technical, and professional guidance and
support to the engineers on the team. Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal skills, and a demonstrated ability
for complex problem solving and fine detail work.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, able to work independently, and
perform multiple tasks under minimal supervision.
- Comfortable working on complex issues where analysis of
situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable
factors. Able to exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques
and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Good understanding of product life cycle, including software
development methodologies, design, and implementation.
- Experience handling strategic test planning, test resource
planning and test project risk assessment.
- Must have a solid foundation of software test experience,
extensive experience across business domains, and a strong grasp of
quality assurance philosophies and practices. We talk "test" a lot
- Must be comfortable with a broad range of applications types
and interfaces, both as applications-under-test and as tools.
- 5-10 years of QA experience showing increasing skill and
responsibility; you should have a deep understanding of QA
standards and software project lifecycle.
- 3 years of experience coordinating test resources on test
projects, coordinating projects with other teams, and mentoring and
training QA staff.
- Some experience writing automated tests. Hands on experience
with test automation beyond Selenium would be a bonus.
- Extensive experience with the validation of enterprise-class
- Experience with Agile methodologies, mastery of testing in an
- Experience with open-source test tools, like Selenium and
- Experience with Test Case Management tools.
- Experience with distributed version control systems, like git.
Business Wire is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are
committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race,
color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual
orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender
identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair
Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances,
and its internal policy, Business Wire will also consider for
employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction
Keywords: U.Group, San Francisco , Software Quality Assurance Lead, IT / Software / Systems , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!