Machine Learning Scientist - Computer Vision
Company: Spring Discovery
Location: San Carlos
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Machine Learning Scientist - Computer Vision tl;dr
Spring is accelerating the discovery of therapies for aging and its
related diseases . Machine learning and data science are at our
core, and we're building a rare computational team that works
closely with our biologists, together fighting disease.
Aging is the single greatest risk factor for the most detrimental
diseases on Earth - cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative
disease, pulmonary disease, cancer, muscle wasting, and more - and
drugs that slow the biological damage accumulated while aging have
the potential to reduce the incidences of these diseases, possibly
simultaneously. We believe that in the not-too-distant future, the
discovery of therapies for aging will provide some of the most
effective tools in history for reducing our burden of disease and
extending our healthy lifespan.
Our mission is to dramatically accelerate the realization of that
future. And we're bringing a new set of machine learning tools to
bear on this challenge.
Yes, you belong
We are building a cross-functional team. We don't expect you to
have a background in biology, just as we don't expect our
biologists to be experts in ML. We do expect our teams to work
respectfully and closely, learning together every day.
We value building a diverse, inclusive environment and welcome all
applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity,
race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.
- Lead computational research into questions which stem from
understanding biology through terabytes of high resolution imaging
- Develop new machine learning models and methods to learn the
biology of aging present in microscopy and histology data.
- Pioneer methods to deconvolute real biological signal from
- Work closely with cell and aging biologists to push the
iteration of various hypotheses in both the wet and dry lab.
- Generate and prioritize new computational research questions
into modeling biological changes through images.
- Overcome analytical challenges inherent in the study of high
throughput biological data.
- You're most motivated when working on a problem of important
consequence, no matter what's necessary to do so.
- PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant, quantitative field
such as computer science, physics, statistics, applied math,
electrical engineering, etc.--
- Demonstrated experience applying and advancing the latest
techniques in computer vision on challenging datasets.--
- Extensive experience developing models for diverse machine
learning tasks such as segmentation, recognition, classification,
domain adaptation, etc.
- Ability to efficiently clean and process raw datasets into a
format suitable for machine learning.
- Strong engineering skills, including thorough experience with
Python data packages, classical machine learning libraries, and
deep learning frameworks.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to take advantage
of our highly collaborative environment, working with both
computational and experimental scientists.
- A passion for innovation and demonstrated initiative in
tackling new areas of research
Nice to have
- Strong publication record related to applying computer vision
methods to biological imaging data.
- Extensive hands on experience working with microscopy data or
similar biomedical / biophysical imaging datasets.
- Experience working with microscopy data acquisition in various
image file formats.
- Understanding of the core tenants of cellular biology and
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy feedback-focused environment - leadership will have
high expectations, regularly share constructive feedback, expect
you to grow, and welcome receiving feedback from you
A unique moment
We have deep support from some of the best investors in the world:
General Catalyst, First Round, Felicis, Laura Deming's Longevity
Fund, pharma/biotech angels, and many more. Our advisors are world
leaders in aging research, senior execs at pharma, and top tech
And at the same time, we're just getting started. You're joining a
team that has the funding needed to be ambitious while still early
enough to help define our culture, choices, and success. Our
expectations of you - and of ourselves - are high.
To fighting disease, together!
Keywords: Spring Discovery, San Francisco , Machine Learning Scientist - Computer Vision, IT / Software / Systems , San Carlos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!