Genlab Scientific Lab Technician
Company: The Bionetics Corporation
Location: Mountain View
Posted on: September 15, 2019
The Bionetics Corporation is seeking a Genlab Scientific Lab
Technician to join our team at the NASA Ames Research Center (ARC)
in Mountain View, CA. Bionetics is a government services contractor
specializing in engineering and life science with locations
nationwide. Bionetics offers competitive pay and benefits to
include medical, dental, vision, paid vacation and sick leave, paid
holidays, 401k with company matching, etc. JOB DESCRIPTION: The
Genlab Scientific Laboratory Technician will be responsible for
processing biological samples from various model organisms to
extract, purify and archive RNA and DNA, perform sample
quantification, make next generation sequencing libraries using an
automated automation platform, and perform RNA and DNA sequencing.
This position may carry out sampling, testing, measuring, recording
and analysis of results as part of a scientific team. Responsible
for providing all the required technical support to enable the
laboratory to function effectively, while adhering to correct
procedures and health and safety guidelines. BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's Degree of Science or Engineering in molecular
biology, bio-chemistry, bio-engineering or related fields.
- Two (2) years' laboratory experience, ideally with some
exposure to molecular biology and omics technologies.
- Must have experience with sample and data management and
analysis, ideally with experience in analyzing next generation
sequence data. Bioinformatics or data curation experience highly
- Strong attention to detail highly desirable.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and common applications
to include Microsoft Office required.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work
independently with minimal guidance while consistently exercising
good judgment required.
- Must possess good organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Good interpersonal and English communication skills essential.
Must possess the ability to use the English language for reading
and writing/producing written English work.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status.
- Must be eligible for or have successfully completed a National
Agency Check investigation for a "NASA Clearance" within the last
ten (10) years. RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: Essential/Typical
- Reproducibly follow established procedures as well as
troubleshoot experiments as necessary.
- Performs molecular biology work in pre-PCR and post-PCR lab
environment while adhering to safety guidelines, including:
- Nucleic acid isolation from tissues, bacterial and mammalian
- Quantitation, quality checks and normalization of nucleic
acids: manually and utilizing automation
- Perform library preparation and QC for Next Gen Sequencing,
manually and utilizing automation
- Perform assays, cell culturing, PCR and other molecular biology
techniques on a need basis.
- Use good hands-on laboratory skills and follow proper aseptic
- Develop, validate and apply new protocols and workflows to
increase robustness, time efficiency and cost effectiveness of the
- Accurately and consistently record experiment details,
materials, results and conclusions using lab notebook and currently
- Present findings and convey comprehensive project status
reviews using technical reports and presentations.
- Establish good sample tracking (LIMS) system and manage
metadata information relevant to the
- Support lab maintenance tasks:
- Responsible for calibration and preventative maintenance of
- Keep inventory and place purchase orders for common lab
- Train outside users on shared resource equipment Non-Essential
- Other related assignments and duties, as required. PHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTS: Often-seeing, hearing, fingering, grasping, feeling,
standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, pulling,
pushing, speaking Lifting/Moving Requirements:
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Normally works in an environmentally controlled area.
Keywords: The Bionetics Corporation, San Francisco , Genlab Scientific Lab Technician, Healthcare , Mountain View, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!