Nursing Professional Development Specialist - OR
Location: Corte Madera
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Eligible for Sign-On Bonus!
Promotes professional development through the application of
principles of adult learning in broad-based program development.
Leveraging expertise in Kaiser Permanentes electronic medical
record, KP HealthConnect (KPHC), responsible for identifying,
prioritizing, and evaluating, the educational and professional
development needs of a clinical area; develops and delivers
clinical educational programs, including specialty training, new
graduate/hire training, continuing education for staff, and
training for upgrades and changes to KPHC. Coordinates nursing
competence & professional development programs for Patient Care
Service Area for an assigned/defined clinical area. Conducts
ongoing assessments of proficiencies for PCS staff and management
and provide feedback and formal action plans management. Serves as
the KPHC expert and applies this knowledge into clinical and
- Clinical Educator
- Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all
stages of their career development. Assists learners in the
assessment of needs and identification of outcomes. Incorporates
principles of adult learning in implementation of education
programs. Identifies and evaluates high quality, culturally diverse
instructional materials in all types of media and formats. Adjusts
content and teaching strategies to meet learner needs. Provides
ongoing assessment of individual performance in clinical and KPHC
proficiencies for PCS staff and management and reports to Director
of Clinical Education, Practice, and Informatics. Identifies
individuals who do not meet established competency expectations and
recommends a formal action plan to PCS Management.
- Program and Curriculum Development / Evaluation
- Develops, designs, evaluates, and manages professional
development programs based on principles of adult learning that
foster the development of competence in the nursing staff. Conducts
ongoing evaluation of the quality and effectiveness of educational
activities to ensure they maintain and enhance professional
development and promote the delivery of cost-effective high quality
healthcare. Develops/coordinates education plans related to
orientation of new staff to the organization, initial and ongoing
competency validation, core education to address patient population
specific nursing care, and core education for the development of
- Clinical practice standards
- Responds to changes in nursing practice / nursing theory and
develops programs to support those changes. Conducts research into
professional and community practice standards, technology, clinical
informatics, and clinical innovations for improved patient
- Clinical informatics expert
- Ensures that KPHC is leveraged for the benefit of nursing
practice and improved excellence in patient care systems and
processes. Assesses opportunities to support clinical practices
through the use of KPHC by analyzing clinical workflow to determine
current practices and facilitating the improvement of specific
nursing practices and processes.
- Clinical practice and Informatics interface
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and advances in the
field of Nursing and Healthcare Informatics, as well as new
developments in hardware and software technology. Maintains
up-to-date knowledge of nursing practices, regulatory standards,
and organizational priorities. Consults staff and leadership in
areas of clinical expertise (e.g. workflow and clinical use
recommendations), provides information on current clinical
practice, and addresses clinical questions. Ensures optimization
efforts are identified and implemented to support clinical decision
making that supports high quality and safe patient care.
- Partnerships / Leadership Duties
- Participates in interdisciplinary committees to integrate
educational activities into clinical care and clinical informatics
/ appropriate use of KPHC into educational activities and clinical
care. Addresses KPHC and workflow issues through Regional Domains,
local Domains and Cross Functional Domain. Provides leadership for
clinical IT enhancements.
- Provides investigation, recommendation, prioritization and
evaluation of clinical risk, and correction plans for arising
concerns and issues as a result of KPHC and clinical education.
Monitors, tracks, and follows up on such concerns / issues.
Escalates any patient safety issues identified with workflow
disruptions. Assures education, programs, and classes meet budget
- Strategic Communication
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and
responsibilities. Interprets and communicates across multiple
disciplines. Promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on
a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right
to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such
positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are
generally implemented only after notice is given to affected
- Minimum three (3) years of clinical nursing experience
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing Bachelors Degree in
Nursing, or Masters Degree in Nursing earned through a direct entry
License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (California) required at hire
- Basic Life Support
- Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, federal, state, and local
- Demonstrated knowledge in KP HealthConnect including
functionality and expertise in workflows (or for external hires,
similarly integrated medical record).
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical center policy and procedure
requirements, specialty training and competency requirements.
- National Certification required within one year of hire
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
- Minimum six (6) months of experience coordinating or managing
education program /curriculum design, development and
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) or PhD in Nursing
Job Category: Nursing Licensed & Nurse Practitioners
Keywords: Kaiser, San Francisco , Nursing Professional Development Specialist - OR, Healthcare , Corte Madera, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...