Company: Exploring New Horizons
Location: Scotts Valley
Posted on: June 26, 2022
POSITION: Health Care Supervisor (Medic)STATUS: -Hourly,
Non-exemptLOCATION: Exploring New Horizons at Sempervirens, Scotts
Valley, CASUPERVISOR: Program DirectorSALARY & BENEFITS: $29/hour;
40 hours a week plus 1-2 nights on call ($50 stipend/night); $1,500
stipend if fluent in SpanishSTART DATE: August 15, 2022 - June 2,
2023WHAT IS EXPLORING NEW HORIZONS? Exploring New Horizons (ENH)
engages 3rd-8th grade students in residential outdoor education
programs at our Loma Mar, Pigeon Point and Sempervirens sites south
of San Francisco, CA. Founded as a non-profit in 1979, ENH partners
with over 80 Northern California schools. The Sempervirens program
consists of 4 and 5-day residential programs for 160-230 5th and
6th grade students and their classroom teacher, utilizing either
high school student or parent cabin leaders.POSITION OVERVIEW:
Under the direction of the Program Director, the Health Care
Supervisor performs a variety of health care activities involved in
administering first aid, dispensing medications and providing
medical treatment and emergency care services to students enrolled
in the outdoor education program. The Health Care Supervisor will
also assist in administrative duties in the office, preparing cabin
lists for the week, talking with parents about health concerns,
coordinating with the dining hall around food allergies, and making
sure that the staff is prepared for all health and behavioral
concerns for the participating schools. ENH will operate our
Sempervirens site with 2 Health Care Supervisors who will work
closely in coordination. Both positions schedules are flexible
based upon applicants with an evening shift 1-3 days a week
2:30-10pm and daytime shifts 2-4 days a week depending.ENH
encourages a "speak up" environment at all levels and encourages
staff to communicate with ENH leadership and participate on
projects and committees with the ENH Board. Many of our staff stay
on year after year becoming an integral part of the ENH
- Screen and evaluate health forms to find behavioral and medical
conditions of students in the weeks before they attend outdoor
school; contact parents and teachers regarding med forms
- Examine sick or injured students and identify illnesses,
injuries and medical emergencies; coordinate response to emergency
- Dispense medications to students according to physician
instructions; maintain medication logs and records; review student
medical forms to verify completeness and identify student health
care needs; implement services to assure health care needs are
- Monitor students with specialized health conditions and dietary
needs; assure students receive adequate medical services to assure
optimal health; advise students, parents and staff concerning
special medical and dietary needs among students. -
- Communicate weekly with the kitchen staff regarding any dietary
restrictions and supplements for participating students and/or
- Monitor and maintain adequate inventory levels of first aid and
emergency medical supplies; order, receive and assure proper
storage of supplies. Manage annual medical supply budget.
- Organize and type weekly cabin lists and office paperwork.
- Be on call and on site one night per week to respond to any
- Assume roles and responsibilities of Program Director when they
are not on duty, including decision making, discipline, and
emergency response. This could include making decisions about
student health and discipline, making calls to emergency services
and communicating with the Executive Director. - -
- Assist in the day to day program and site operations, including
but not limited to naturalist trail support, driving camp vehicles
and procurement of program supplies.
- Facilitate conflict resolution sessions among students.
- Communicate with parents regarding student medical concerns and
- Other duties as negotiated. -KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid Wilderness First Responder certification or EMT
- Current advanced First aid and CPR certifications from an
authorized organization. -
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time. -
- Bilingual speakers are a plus.
- Capability to assess and manage crisis situations.
- At least 1 year familiarity of residential outdoor school
management and programming.
- Patience with students while dealing with discipline
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Drive,
Docs and Sheets in a professional setting
- Ability to work in a variety of inclement weather including
rain, sleet, mud and wind.
- Willingness to work a flexible work week.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. -
- Capability to communicate thoughtfully and completely in both
written and spoken forms.
- Valid Driver's License and clean driving record.
- Ability to follow and implement organizational risk management
procedures, medication procedures and health care practices.
- Possess organizational skills to manage necessary
documentation, and required record keeping.
- Position carries risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens and
bodily fluids. -We especially encourage applicants of different
backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and
perspectives to apply as we are actively working to increase the
diversity of experience and perspectives on our team. No one comes
with the entire complement of skills, so please don't let a lack of
experience/skill in one specific area deter you from applying.To
apply: Send cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com. For more information please visit
our website http://www.exploringnewhorizons.org/. -Position is open
until filled and we are hoping to hire by June 14 so if interested
please apply soon.Exploring New Horizons Outdoor Schools does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender,
sexual orientation, disability or age in any of its policies,
procedures or practices.
Keywords: Exploring New Horizons, San Francisco , Health Supervisor/Medic, Healthcare , Scotts Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!