Director of International Development
Company: Ghirardelli Chocolate
Location: San Leandro
Posted on: June 15, 2019
The Director of International Development leads an important
opportunity for the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company. This key role
will lead the strategic development of all Ghirardelli products
internationally, including both our Professional Products
(restaurant focused) and Branded (retail focused) businesses. The
Director will work closely with external selling agents as well as
internal cross-functional support to build the export plans and
execute them to drive strong sales growth outside the United
Key responsibilities include: establishing strategic plans, brand
building, marketing activation, delivering company distribution,
pricing & promotion objectives and achieving sales & profit
budgets. Critical to success will be strong cross-functional work
to ensure that our international offerings are appropriate and the
necessary infrastructure, tools and products for international
success are in place. Also, strong leadership of our sales agents
at our export management companies and country distributors will be
key to achieve the required results through others. The Director
brings both a top-line and bottom-line perspective to all business
decisions. The Director is also a results oriented leader and a
strategic thinker who works well with others. Additionally, the
Director has an entrepreneurial spirit that can pioneer a
The Director of International Development is a vital member of the
Ghirardelli Professional Products (PPD) leadership team which
includes all direct staff of the VP of Professional Products and
which sets direction and leads execution for the entire
Professional Products organization. Additionally, the Director will
be a member of the Company leadership team, which allows the
Director to provide input into the direction of the overall
Lead the International Sales & Marketing Organization
- Set strategic direction for the Ghirardelli Company
international business to achieve strong and sustainable long term
growth. A visionary approach at business building across countries
- Build strong plans to achieve successful growth across all
- Create brand building marketing activation plans across
- Ensure the best products and packaging are offered to our
- Build internal company support as appropriate to champion
- Achieve NTS budgets, both short-term and long-term, while
influencing the successful attainment of GP% budgets.
- Achieve all Professional Products Sales and Branded Sales
Priorities, while developing a short and long-term plan for country
distributors and in store presence.
- Spend within expense budget and spend trade funds to achieve
the best ROI possible.
- Select and manage Export companies as well as working closely
with key country. distributors and operators. Champion the
expansion of Ghirardelli resources as appropriate.
- Intervene in situations where an issue arises which requires
oversight to insure company integrity, sales, creation of a new
policy/procedure or where additional sales team growth should
Deliver Financial Results
- Achieve NTS & GP% budgets.
- Achieve Professional Products & Branded Sales
- Spend within Trade Funds and departmental budgets.
- Lead Scorecard planning and tracking on a monthly basis with
all International countries and key accounts.
- Provide channel forecasting, sales and other necessary data,
key decisions & communications (personnel, broker, account, etc.)
on a regular basis to the VP of Professional Products in a
professional and timely manner.
Develop Team Members Individually and Collectively into a High
Performing Cohesive Group
- Assess Export Management Companies and Country Distributors,
develop and coach individuals on the team.
- Continually assess overall team capability vs. requirements and
adjust as needed.
- Make proposals to expand resources as appropriate to
effectively build the business over time.
- Manage performance issues quickly and directly.
- Understand professional goals of team members and build plans
to help them achieve goals.
Develop Key Customers
- Develop a strategic vision for the Ghirardelli business (both
short and long-term) to ensure continuous growth for the
- Lead the development of our international sales through our
export management company and country distributors.
- Penetrate key countries and understand Ghirardelli business
development opportunities at each key customer.
- Personally engage with large international customers that will
help build the business.
Be a Leader within the Professional Products Organization and
- Demonstrate passion, commitment and integrity in all
- Treat confidential information as such.
- Take both a top-line and bottom-line perspective on all
- Collaborate effectively across functions.
Sell, live, demonstrate and protect the premium-ness of our
- Build the Ghirardelli Brand Equity by demonstrating quality in
everything you do.
- Demonstrated Leadership and Entrepreneurship.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- High level of follow-up, availability and responsiveness to
internal and external partners.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical and computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint,
Outlook, Word and ability to utilize, search and navigate on the
- Exhibit high level of focus and account penetration using
sophisticated analysis and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking and making effective
- Extensive knowledge and experience with channel and/or
- Prior direct account management.
- Experience with forecasting software and promotional
planning/deduction management systems or proven experience with
financial management related to promotional product spending,
travel and entertainment expense management and creating financial
recommendations utilizing basic ROI analysis.
Education and Work Experience:
- BA/BS Degree , MBA desired
- 10+ years of Professional Products/CPG selling, marketing and
- Increasing levels of responsibilities.
- International experience.
- The ability to speak multiple languages is a plus.
Keywords: Ghirardelli Chocolate, San Francisco , Director of International Development, Executive , San Leandro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!