Director of Machine Learning
Company: Primer AI
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: November 11, 2018
The Director of Machine Learning will enable Primer to build the next generation of our core machine learning algorithms, pushing forward the capabilities and performance of our products. You'll partner with engineering leadership and executives to translate company objectives and customer needs into the roadmap for both machine learning and engineering platforms. Most importantly, you will mentor and develop a strong and rapidly growing team of machine learning engineers and recruit new ML experts to join your team. You'll work to ensure the quality of the work they produce, and make sure they have the tools and skills to excel.
Your goal is to build the team that builds the machines that read and write.
Primer is an artificial intelligence company that organizes and analyzes text-based data sources and generates analyst-grade natural language summaries for a variety of industries. Our objective is to help our customers understand the world around them -- whether it is emerging geopolitical events, development of a product line or area of research, or monitoring a portfolio of companies' financial performances.
The Machine Learning team builds the core algorithms that power Primer's analytic engines. Our focus is on solving the hardest problems in natural language processing, understanding, and generation. We do this at scale and across a diverse set of document types and human languages. Every day we develop and implement cutting-edge algorithms, maintain and improve the performance of Primer's existing suite of algorithms, and help find novel uses for Primer's technology.
- Recruit, mentor and develop machine learning experts.
- Ensure the quality of our core machine learning platform - developing best practices in the team and keeping an eye on the state of the art.
- Partner with executives and leadership to set the roadmap.
- Lead long term investments in machine learning.
- Develop presentations and technical discussions to evangelize and teach both within Primer and without.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, computational linguistics, or other quantitative field.
- 8+ years of professional experience developing and deploying data and algorithm driven software products.
- 5+ years of managing teams of data scientists and engineers, and in sourcing candidates and hiring.
- Experience with NLP and machine learning tools and libraries such as numpy, SpaCy, NLTK, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras.
- Specific experience with NLP tasks such as event and topic detection, relation extraction, summarization, entity recognition, document classification and knowledge base generation.
- Experience in distributed computing, preferably including working with AWS/Azure, the Elastic stack, and Docker.
- Passionate about driving the performance of machine learning algorithms towards the state of the art, and in challenging us to continually improve what is possible.
What We Offer
- Rapidly growing company, with opportunities for growth into leadership roles
- Smart, engaged co-workers who are at the top of their game
- Honest and open environment for exchange of ideas
- Real deadlines from real customers with global name recognition
- Product culture of user experience quality over feature quantity
- Proactive learning and teaching opportunities via individual book allowances, tech talks, and brown bag lunches
- Twice weekly catered lunches
- Team outings and bi-weekly company happy hours
- Fun, puzzle-loving office in the SF Financial District
Keywords: Primer AI, San Francisco , Director of Machine Learning, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!