Vice President & General Counsel
Company: Civil Service Employees Insurance
Location: Walnut Creek
Posted on: September 23, 2018
Grow your Career with CSE Insurance Group!
We are currently seeking an Vice President & General Counsel to join our team. Our team members play an integral role in the innovation and growth of our organization.
Join CSE and be part of the excitement. You'll love our stuff!
The General Counsel will provide leadership and guidance on a full range of legal issues, regulatory compliance, contracts, litigation, insurance and risk management, intellectual property, governance, and general corporate matters. There is a particular emphasis on insurance law and state regulatory matters ensuring compliance with all legal obligations and minimizing company's legal risks. He or she will manage relationships between the company and the appropriate regulatory entities, as well as the Company's representative in associations that advocate for legislative and regulatory changes. The General Counsel will serve as a member of the Executive Management team.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide skilled and innovative legal counsel, advice, direction and representation to the Company and business units, including in HR and employment law, and furthering the business objectives and profitability of the company
- Oversee compliance activities of the company, and work closely with each department, coordinate and monitor compliance activities to ensure continuous compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Work with various state insurance departments, regulatory and statistical agencies, and insurance organizations to maintain a stable working relationship with them so that the company objectives can be met as quickly and effectively as possible.
- Manage and oversee regulatory compliance audits conducted by a state department of insurance, as well as lead in responding and addressing regulatory consumer complaints.
- Stay current on all relevant laws and regulations, assess the effect of proposed and newly-enacted legislation, regulations, or court decisions, communicate to all members of the organization any relevant changes, and ensure that changes are addressed and implemented.
- Manage the active participation in the various trade and advocacy associations relevant to the company's operation.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various commercial contracts, including software license, vendor agreements, non-disclosure, and partner agreements.
- Acts as the Company's Corporate Secretary and provide advice to the Board of Directors in their fiduciary capacity.
- Manage the company's portfolio of intellectual property.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND BEHAVIORS:
- Knowledge of the general laws and regulations affecting company operations, as well as a highly-developed working knowledge of all assigned areas of law practice which impact the operations of a company.
- Must possess extensive knowledge and understanding of the operations, organizations and responsibilities of the company and business units served.
- Must have accomplished knowledge of the general laws and regulations affecting company operations, as well as a highly-developed working knowledge of all assigned areas of law practice which impact the operations of company.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of federal and state regulatory processes; an understanding of the company's legislative, regulatory and public policy objectives; and the ability to work closely and effectively with those representing the company in the legislative/regulatory arenas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities. Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all levels and attain desired results.
- Must have the ability to collaborate with cross-functional team to achieve business results.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments in a high-paced environment.
- Effective communication, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Balances listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others and keeping others informed.
- Achieves a standard of excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring company policies and regulatory compliance.
- Team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Receptive to feedback, willing to learn, and embracing continuous improvement.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- JD from an accredited law school, and licensed to practice in the State of California.
- A minimum of 10 years of legal experience, preferably with a combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience within regulatory compliance, ideally in property and casualty, including but not limited to rate filings, claims oversight, regulatory exams, forms drafting and review, etc.
- Familiarity with Personal Lines Insurance strongly preferred.
- Metrics and results-oriented leader.
- Experience managing a small team.
At CSE, we offer a competitive benefits package (to include profit sharing and 401K match) complemented by work-life balance programs to support our employees.
Who We Are
CSE Insurance Group is a multi-line provider of personal, commercial property and casualty insurance recognized for its fairness, integrity and exceptional service.
A community of good people define our company
CSE Insurance Group is a local company. Our community is your community. Being good people defines us and the agents that represent our products.
What We Do
Protect with well-made insurance, delight with exception service
Our customers deserve exceptional service and well made, high-quality insurance at a reasonable cost. They should feel positive about the protection CSE insurance provides.
How We Think
Create confidence in our customer's mind everyday
Every time we connect with you is an opportunity to express our purpose - to exemplify the integrity we demand of ourselves and our company.
Keywords: Civil Service Employees Insurance, San Francisco , Vice President & General Counsel, Executive , Walnut Creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!