Alliance Management Director
Company: Alector, Inc.
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: May 28, 2023
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the
immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is
solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most
challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this
mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians,
leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partnerswho share
in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.The Director,
Alliance Management will support and work with Alector's VP
Alliance Management, to build &/or maintain external
collaborations and partnerships ranging from discovery to
commercial, expanding Alector's R&D pipeline and enhancing the
global potential of our neurology drug products.Alector's Alliance
Management facilitates a collaborative and productive working
environment with our industry partners, ensuring our teams operate
according to standard process and within contractual terms. This
internal and external-facing role requires excellent communication,
people skills and influencing management skills and will interact
closely with the Executive Committee and various functional leaders
working with our partners to ensure the success of our
collaborations (including Research, Clinical, Medical Affairs, CMC,
Finance, Legal and others).Essential duties and
- Support Alector's Alliance Management team and diverse
portfolio of partnerships and collaborations.
- Ensure productive, collaborative alliances that operate
consistent with contractual terms.
- Act as a resource for the Executive Committee on alliance
- Develop and maintain key relationships and becomes a positive
influencer internally and externally in support of alliance
- Create a "best partner" reputation for the team and the
- Partner with PTLs and PMs to align on strategic position,
prioritization changes, and areas of opportunity for improvement;
Raise issues to internal and external Sr. Leaders, as
- Proactively identify challenges within the alliance portfolio
and work with internal and external partners to define and
implement solutions and risk mitigation plans.
- Ensure effective communication between Alector and its alliance
partners and assist in the provision of clear documentation in
joint forums. Establish credibility, trust, and respect with
- Establish a firm understanding of partner contracts. As
alliances evolve and in collaboration with internal stakeholders,
negotiate new terms and agreements (amendments, new or restated
contracts) with existing partners.
- Ensure consistent governance across all alliances enabling and
supporting Joint Committee Meetings and other partnership meetings.
Serve as the main point of contact for escalation of cross company,
cross functional, and business conflicts (internal and external)
which impact the collaboration.
- Conflict/crisis management - proactively identify and resolve
conflicts as needed or escalate to senior mgmt. for timely
- Establish, improve, coach, and provide guidance to cross
functional team members to drive effective collaboration best
practices to reflect a positive company reputation which supports
Alector's partnering and/or fundraising efforts.
- Partner with Business Development to ensure deal terms enable
effective governance for new collaborations and partnerships.
Actively contribute to Business Development projects (new
partnerships) through review and input on term sheets and contract
- Responsibilities may require a flexible work schedule outside
of standard business hours due to partner time zone
- Advanced degree (Masters, Doctorate, or Bachelor's degree) with
minimum 8+ years bio/pharma, life sciences or related industry
experience, of which at least 3 years are in Alliance Management or
external partner relationship management role; or equivalent
combination of education, training, and experience.
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences, Business, or Law
- Strong knowledge and interpretation of contracts.
- Solid negotiation skills with good command of complex, detailed
- Strong issue and conflict management skills with demonstrated
experience in driving to resolution.
- Broad understanding of global biotech/pharma industries with a
strong understanding of drug discovery and drug development
- Professional and has Executive presence; ability to work
credibly and reliably with senior company executives, internally
and with external partners; manages complex issues and communicates
difficult matters; decisive but diplomatic.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills with a
"roll up your sleeves" mentality; a team player who collaborates,
oversees, coaches, and drives to meaningful outcomes and positive
- Actively listens and demonstrates emotional intelligence.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Learning agility; ability to quickly grasp new or unforeseen
situations, concepts and processes.
- Self-motivated, requires minimal supervision and strong people
- Familiarity with alliance management best practices, industry
standards and collaborations.$227,390 - $245,945 a yearBase salary
ranges will be determined by the candidate's level, qualifications,
skill set, and experience.#LI-BL1Alector is a phenomenal place to
learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are
encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question
convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared
wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.Alector was named on
Fortune's ""top list for small and medium-sized companies for the
second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.Among the
things you'll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your
tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important
company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right
at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work
options, and competitive compensation and benefits.Come join us!At
Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a
wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each
other's assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative
ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse,
and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate
on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or
disability status, or any other characteristics protected under
applicable federal, state, or local laws.We will ensure that
individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation
to participate in the job application or interview process, perform
essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges
of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Keywords: Alector, Inc., San Francisco , Alliance Management Director, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...