Patient Care Manager
Company: Hospice of Santa Cruz County
Location: Scotts Valley
Posted on: May 28, 2023
The Patient Care Manager (PCM) is responsible for ensuring the
delivery of high-quality, cost-effective end of life care to
patient/families residing at home, SNFs or RCFEs through
coordination of daily clinical operations and the supervision and
support of assigned work groups providing that care. PCM ensures
staffing coverage for direct contact with pts/families. PCM ensures
accountability and compliance of team members to meet regulatory
standards and HSCC policies. The PCM is responsible for the
direction and management of the interdisciplinary team. The PCM
demonstrates sensitivity and compassion for the issues involved in
serving patients and families facing a terminal illness, death and
bereavement; clinical expertise in pain and symptom control,
understanding of regulatory compliance, management and leadership
skills and fiscal responsibility in the planning and delivery of
Specific Functional Responsibilities
PATIENT CARE MANAGEMENT/INTERDISCIPLINARY FUNCTION
- Facilitates optimal interdisciplinary team process to ensure
the delivery of high-quality, cost-effective care that maximizes
patient care outcomes.
- Coordinates and supports Interdisciplinary field staff: Nurses,
Social Workers, and Spiritual Care Counselors to promote optimal
team functioning. Maintains clinical and regulatory expertise to
serve as clinical and systems resource to interdisciplinary
- Provides clinical direction and oversight of acuity ensuring
optimal clinical outcomes and regulatory compliance. Names and
monitors high acuity level situations, report F/U, tracks for
- Follows established protocols and ensures appropriate reporting
up of issues: from IDT to Patient Care Manager, from PCM to Chief
Clinical Officer and Leadership
- Directs IDT preparation and recertification review. Facilitates
IDT meetings to promote patient-centered care planning in an
- Monitors and ensures appropriate, individualized plan of care
interventions and follow up to identified issues.
- Assures timely, accurate and compliant documentation in medical
record, centered around a patient/family centered plan of
- Directs, manages, and ensures documentation of professional
management related to high acuity symptom management & changes in
level of care, discharge alive, etc.
- Assigns staff to ensure appropriate utilization in meeting
departmental, interdepartmental & agency goals
- Provides triage support to pt/families and staff when assigned
triage staff unavailable
- Collaborates with Director of Psychosocial Services related to
team Interdisciplinary patient centered care with Social Workers
and Spiritual Care team members.
- Ensures utilization of shared resources and staffing to reflect
needs of census across program functions.
- Develops systems & reports to enhance patient care and
- Oversees patient care flow & response, priorities,
- Participates in the leadership, facilitation and documentation
of department meetings as requested
- Manages/reports up appropriate clinical staff and system
issues, concerns, and suggestions to supervisor.
- Manages/reports up appropriate clinical issues to Director
Level as appropriate, and to Chief Clinical Officer/Medical
Director. Maintains collaborative partnership.
- Ensures effective communication systems with On Call, Triage,
PD RNs, Medical Director and Administrative On-Call for continuity
and quality of care.
- Serves as liaison to Attending Physician as needed.
- Participates in QAPI and UR monitors and activities. Ensure
accountability for team-based improvement in identified
- Monitors assigned ancillary services for quality and
- Responds in timely manner to Unusual Occurrence, Family Survey
Feedback, Incident Reports and Complaints.
- Participates in Performance Improvement Projects and assigned
workgroups to support culture of improvement and
- Goals/Action Plans
- Staff productivity measures
- Team budget
- Documentation standards re: timeliness, quality, and
- Accurate and timely time log entry and verification.
- Assigned QAPI and UR
- Satisfaction scores
- Participates in the on- boarding process for newly assigned
- Participates in Administrative On-Call rotation.
- Participates in leadership of department as requested.
- Participates in Patient Care Manager and other assigned work
groups, such as QAPI, Facility Committee, Medication Committee,
Team Leadership, etc.
- Special Assignments or other duties as assigned.
- Ensures all HIPAA Privacy and Security Regulations, Medicare
Conditions of Participation, and all other regulatory/compliance
requirements are understood and followed
- Ensures compliance with all job-related State/Federal
- Models compliance and educates staff as necessary
- Assigned RN Case Managers, Visit RNs
- 2 years of hospice, home health, or community health experience
in the last 5 years
- 3-5 years previous Supervisory/Management experience with
Hospice management experience desired
- Previous experience with Electronic Medical Records highly
- Understanding of hospice regulatory requirements preferred
- Critical thinking, good judgment, leadership, change
friendly/adaptable, strong verbal and written communication skills,
ability to integrate regulations with clinical practice, strong
customer service, flexibility, and discernment in decision
- Ability to stand firm and remain committed when necessary and
facilitate understanding when difficult or adverse decisions must
be addressed or made.
- Qualified to provide supervision of nurses and oversight of
- Understands and uses technology effectively
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Active State of CA RN license, current CA drivers' license
- CHPN within 1 year of position acceptance
- Pass OIG/GSA reviews and all required background checks
- Strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 10
- Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen
- Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the
Work Environment/Environmental Condition
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and
to use standard office equipment, including a computer
Keywords: Hospice of Santa Cruz County, San Francisco , Patient Care Manager, Executive , Scotts Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...