Content Area Team Director - Mathematics
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Content Area Team Director - Mathematics As a community of over
900 researchers, practitioners, consultants, and administrative
professionals from all backgrounds and life experiences, we are
committed to making a qualitative difference in the lives of youth,
children, and adults. We conduct and apply research, develop
evidence-based solutions, and provide consulting services across
the country in both rural and urban communities to improve
equitable outcomes for individuals from infancy through adulthood.
Serving as trusted partners in the areas of education, health, and
justice, our teams enhance capacity within communities and school
districts to prioritize impact - asking the right questions,
customizing methodologies, developing relevant tools, and
implementing best practices specific to a diverse range of
stakeholder needs. Furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion is
core to who we are and how we work. We are committed to working
with our clients to illuminate and address disparities, -value -and
elevate diverse voices, and ensure equitable access to our
resources and services. Please review our - - commitment to
diversity, equity, and inclusion on our Careers page at wested.org
. - Come and join us! SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING THE WORK LOCATION OF
THIS POSITION- Although WestEd provides the option of working at
one of its facilities for employees, many roles allow employees to
choose to work remotely for their own convenience. The decision to
allow remote work at the employee's convenience is based on the
-requirements of the position or project in question. Job
DescriptionThe Content Area Team Director (CATD) for Mathematics is
a senior leader who has primary responsibility for strategic
business development and setting the strategic direction for
WestEd's Mathematics Content Area's portfolio of work. The director
also facilitates new efforts across Content Areas and Divisions
within WestEd to advance coherent, intersectional, innovative and
equity-focused research, research and development, and professional
services that contribute to improvements in mathematics education.
The director also serves on the division leadership team which
works to ensure the division's operational excellence, support
staff development, and create an equitable and supportive culture
of continuous learning.The Career OpportunityThis opportunity
offers the chance to:
- Expand -WestEd's influence and reputation in the field of
mathematics education with federal agencies, states, IHEs, school
districts, philanthropy, and private vendors.
- Strategically -build on -a significant portfolio of research,
development and technical assistance work in the preK-to
post-secondary and adult workforce contexts that aims to increase
access and outcomes in mathematics for all.
- Develop relationships with new partners in new regions and grow
our market share -of research.As part of WestEd's distributed
leadership approach, Content Area Team Directors divide their time
between business development responsibilities at the Division level
and leading and managing client-facing work, including serving as
PI/PDs of large research and development projects.CATD Primary
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership for the Mathematics
Content Area's business development (e.g., identify proposal
opportunities and oversee development; network with philanthropy
and mathematics leaders nationally; and develop opportunities for
new work and partnerships).
- Create, communicate, and lead the execution of a
market-informed strategy for expanding the Mathematics
- In consultation with a Senior Managing Director, the Division
Director and Institutional Development staff, lead the development
of the annual business plan for Mathematics, including identifying
business development pursuits for the year with an emphasis on
achieving equity, growth and new business.
- Foster innovation and contribute to the achievement of Division
goals of addressing equity and increasing and applying evidence of
what works to improve mathematics education.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with WestEd's other Content
Areas across Divisions to deepen the impact of WestEd's engagements
in the field.External Leadership & Vision
- Partner with a Senior Managing Director to provide leadership
for the Mathematics Content Area Team.
- Represent WestEd with key education groups, including agencies
at the federal, state, and local levels, philanthropy, national
mathematics associations, and other groups, as needed.
- Identify internal and external partnership opportunities
consistent with the Mathematics team's business plan and overall
goals.Secondary responsibilities of the position include:Internal
Leadership and Management
- Lead medium to large-sized projects.
- Participate in the Division Leadership Team.
- Participate as a member of WestEd's Program Development Council
and quarterly business development meetings with the Chief
Development Officer and Chief Program Officer.
- Develop working relationships and partnerships with other
WestEd leaders.Culture and Climate
- Foster an organizational culture that is consistent with
orienting staff toward a "whole is greater than the sum of its
- Model and ensure alignment with WestEd's vision, mission,
values, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion action plan.Talent
Development and Support
- In close collaboration with the Senior Managing Director and
the Operations Director, support the recruitment and retention of a
highly talented and diverse team of professionals for the
- Supervise mid- to senior-level staff through the establishment
of Content Area Team objectives and the development of individual
- In collaboration with Functional Area Leads for Professional
Learning, Research, Data Analytics, and others, promote the
professional development of Mathematics staff members to support
the division and WestEd's mission.Quality Assurance
- Serve as an interface with key clients and ensure that
Mathematics projects and deliverables meet client needs.
- Lead and execute projects that are of high quality, on time,
and within scope/budget.
- As needed, provide quality reviews of reports and other
- Deep knowledge of and demonstrated leadership in research,
and/or research and development in mathematics education.
- Deep knowledge of mathematics content and practice standards,
progressions of standards across grade bands, and secondary and
post-secondary course-taking sequences that promote equity and
- Proven track record of developing strong partnerships with math
educators (preK-20), curriculum developers, and researchers.
- Demonstrated success in leading business development efforts
and writing successful proposals to government agencies,
foundations, and/or other funding sources that yielded contracts of
a significant size.
- Consistent success in developing partnerships and collaborative
relationships with clients in districts, states, IHEs, foundations,
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex contracts and
- Commitment to working collaboratively and effectively with
diverse colleagues from across the organization.
- Demonstrated capacity for mentoring junior staff and promoting
- Demonstrated capacity in management, with a particular focus on
motivating teams around business development opportunities and
writing and managing million-dollar proposal efforts.
- Excellent organizational, communication, managerial, and
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in mathematics education or research and
professional experience in educational research and/or research and
- An abiding commitment to improving mathematics access and
outcomes (across pre-K-20 and in adult education), so that
radically improved student access, opportunity, and outcomes
- Willingness to travel. *Note: Visa sponsorship is not available
for this position. Successful candidates must be authorized to work
in the United States. SALARY AND BENEFITS: -Salary for this role is
competitive, set at a WestEd level - J - and commensurate with
experience. WestEd offers a very generous benefits package
including medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as Life,
AD&D and Disability insurance. We also offer various retirement
plan options and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, childcare,
and commuter expenses. WestEd offers generous paid holidays and
paid time off (PTO), among other benefits. Committed to the
diversity of race, ethnicities, perspectives, and opportunities,
WestEd offers a variety of social and professional learning
communities, such as Employee Resources groups, the Data
Intelligence, Insights, and Innovation PLC, and the WestEd Parent
Community, just to name a few. We hope you'll consider joining us
to build better schools, communities, learning pathways, and more!
#LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected
Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not
discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or
applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or
disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or
applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation
information of other employees or applicants as a part of their
essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees
or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to
compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response
to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: WestEd, San Francisco , Content Area Team Director - Mathematics, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!