Director of Legal
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 16, 2022
The Tides Legal, Risk, & Compliance (LRC) team is seeking a
Director of Legal. The LRC team is wholly and passionately
dedicated to reducing and managing risk in order to allow Tides and
its partners to pursue their shared mission of achieving a world of
shared prosperity and social justice.
Reporting to the Chief Legal and Ethics Officer, the Director will
manage and support the LRC team in advising on legal matters and
providing risk assessments relevant to the work of Tides and its
partners. In the course of their work, the Director will work
closely with other departments within Tides, as well as Tides'
partners, to ensure that all Tides staff are able to carry out
their work effectively, efficiently and responsibly, keeping in
mind the long-term sustainability of the Tides organizations. The
Director will also identify internal and external legal trends,
effectively surface issues, provide leadership and thought
partnership in structuring relationships with Tides partners, and
provide guidance and recommendations to the Tides Executive
This role presents an exciting and impactful opportunity for a
creative lawyer to build, innovate, and lead a dedicated legal team
for Tides and its incredible partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage LRC responses to inquiries from within the organization
on domestic and international legal, risk and compliance matters,
including but not limited to, tax, employment/labor, contracts,
corporate governance, intellectual property and insurance.
- Ensure accuracy, timeliness, efficiency and consistency of LRC
support provided to other departments.
- Stay up to date on key changes to law and best practices and
provide strategic advice to protect Tides' operations and
- Manage LRC support for fiscal sponsorship program of Tides
Center, including legal, risk and compliance issues arising in
connection with structure and operations of fiscally sponsored
- Identify, investigate, and help resolve legal and risk issues
raised by new partnership opportunities. Identify strategic
solutions to issues presented by prospective partners and provide
input to make the new partner vetting and intake process more
sensitive to legal, risk and compliance issues.
- Manage legal support for Tides Foundation grant-making Funds,
including Donor Advised Funds.
- Manage review and revision of Tides legal documents, including
but not limited to, grant agreements, contracts, employment-related
documents, software license and other information
technology-related agreements, subscription agreements, legal
policy and procedure documents, communications with governmental
authorities, and operational and governance policies.
- Manage contracts/grants approval queue, including
implementation of updates to process for contract review to enhance
efficiency and quality of review.
- Work with Human Resources and outside counsel on issues of
employment and labor law arising at Tides organizations, including
fiscally sponsored projects.
- Coordinate responses to legal inquiries, including demand
letters, subpoenas, litigation holds and responses to diligence
- Review litigation opportunities for Tides entities and fiscally
sponsored projects; make recommendations to Executive Team
concerning participation in litigation.
- Monitor on-going litigation and support efforts at resolution,
including settlement negotiations, mediations, etc.
- Manage and/or support staff training on legal topics, including
internal policies and procedures, and compliance with applicable
laws and regulations. Manage and/or support development of
effective legal, risk and compliance education and training tools
- Supervise attorneys and other LRC staff and manage day-to-day
operations of LRC Department. Support continuing professional
development and well-being of individual members of the LRC team;
identify opportunities for team members to build skills and
knowledge that contribute to their successful performance and job
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 8+ years' experience in the areas of general corporate, tax,
employment and/or nonprofit law.
- Detail-oriented, with ability to understand and appreciate and
integrate larger goals and objectives.
- Flexible, with ability and commitment to hold self and others
accountable for high-quality, timely and effective results.
- Demonstrated experience with long-term planning and
- Ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment,
while advancing and achieving buy-in for implementation of new
policies and procedures.
- Team player, with ability to collaborate cross-departmentally
and with internal and external stakeholders.
- Management skills to facilitate and maintain a collegial,
dynamic and effective team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with
demonstrated ability to make legal issues accessible.
- Experience supervising attorneys and legal work.
- Juris Doctor and CA or NY Law License required.
- Appreciation and understanding of Tides' vision, mission,
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and
seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and
bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be
discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national
origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual
orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical
condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled
applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek
an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you
Keywords: Tides, San Francisco , Director of Legal, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!