Development & Communications Director
Company: Homeless Children's Network
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Homeless Childrens Network is a leading provider of
trauma-informed behavioral health and wellness services to
Black/African American families in San Francisco. Our
community-based non-profit organization provides mental health
services and support to children and families who are homeless or
at-risk. Our programs are unique in their Afri-centric approach in
both service provision and infrastructure. To get a feeling for our
community culture and values, check out the HCN blog
athttps://www.hcnkids.org/blogto watch our videos and see news and
We are growing rapidly, and seeking a hands-on Development and
Communications Director for a key leadership role in our
organization. This position is best suited for a highly motivated
individual with the energy and experience to oversee day-to-day
operations of the Development and Communications department as well
as contribute to the strategic vision of the agency as a whole.
This person will be an integral part of the HCN leadership team,
reporting to HCNs Executive Director.This position is full-time
with excellent benefits. A flexible schedule may be available.
During the pandemic, the position is fully remote. Once it is safe
to return, this position will be full time in-office in San
- Leading the planning, organizing, and directing all of HCNs
fundraising including, public funding, foundation and corporate
grants, individual giving and events. The Director works closely
with the Executive Director and reports regularly to the Board of
- Managing a dynamic, growing team including the full time Grants
Manager, Development and Communications Associate and contractors
who support grant writing, public relations, events and other
- Developing and applying a deep understanding of HCNs programs
to effectively tell our story to funders, donors, and others in the
- Working with the Grants Manager to research, write and submit
LOIs, proposals and reports. Hands on writing is a part of this
position, as well as overseeing the larger picture of institutional
- Collaborating with the Finance Department to produce proposal
budgets and financial reports.
- Exercising sound judgment and initiative in identifying and
cultivating additional institutional prospects.
- Communicating regularly with the various program departments to
remain updated on program developments and update institutional
funders and prospects on the organizations work, accordingly.
- Working with the development and communications teams to
increase supporters and community awareness of HCNs impact and
programs through newsletters, fundraising collateral, and ongoing
development of messaging and branding.
- Overseeing HCNs online presence. This includes website updates
and working with the Development and Communications Associate on
the newsletter and social media such as the HCN blog, Facebook,
Instagram, YouTube and other channels.
- Working with development and administrative staff to update and
maintain institutional donor records.
- Maintaining currency and regularly sharing knowledge of
relevant local and national trends and opportunities in
- At least 8-10 years of direct or comparable experience, with
recent leadership experience in nonprofit grant-writing,
fundraising, and institutional development.
- Superb writing, communications, interpersonal, and analytical
skills. Highly organized and motivated, able to multitask, take
initiative, and have excellent time management skills.
- Broad and strategic mindset, with creative aptitude and
effective use of independent judgment.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and resilience in a
high-pressure work environment.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent and prior nonprofit employment
- Experience working with a CRM database management is a
plus.HCNs Culture:In alignment with our diverse and devoted staff,
HCN seeks candidates who are genuine, caring, enthusiastic,
team-orientated individuals. Successful candidates have a positive
attitude and proven ability to work successfully with people of
different ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious and sexual
orientations.We also emphasize the heartfelt quality of compassion,
with exquisite cultural responsiveness as a primary guiding
quality. Please bring a strong analysis of how race, ethnicity,
culture, language, region, poverty, sexual and gender identity,
age, education, opportunities and resources generationally made
available or not, and systemic oppressions impact a persons mental
health.To apply, please submit:
- Resume AND one-page cover letter describing your relevant
experience and why you are interested in this position.
- One writing sample, preferably a funded grant proposal,
demonstrating your development writing skills.
Competitive salary package offered depending on
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time offBenefit Conditions:
- Only full-time employees eligibleSchedule:
- Monday to FridayAbility to Commute/Relocate:
- San Francisco, CA 94124 (Required)Education:
- Bachelor's (Required)Experience:
- Nonprofit fundraising: 8 years (Required)Work Location:
- One locationCompany's Facebook page:
- https://www.facebook.com/HomelessChildrensNetworkWork Remotely:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19COVID-19 Precaution(s):
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
Keywords: Homeless Children's Network, San Francisco , Development & Communications Director, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!