Director of Engineering
Location: San Carlos
Posted on: January 16, 2022
ABOUT TECHNOLOGY @ OPORTUN
Artificial Intelligence and a digital platform are essential to our
ability to fulfill Oportuns financially inclusive mission. The
Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to this mission which we
enable by creating, delivering, and maintaining elegant, intuitive,
and performant systems to support the needs of our customers and
Oportuns Engineering team is growing rapidly and quickly adapting
to our business goals while keeping up with the latest and greatest
technology! We operate in small, full stack teams that are
dedicated to a given product area in order to create strong focus,
alignment with business objectives and reduce dependencies wherever
possible. We encourage our engineers to take end-to-end
responsibility of their features to drive the highest levels of
personal accountability and ownership of working with any other
teams they need to ship.
As a Director of Engineering at Oportun, you will be responsible
for leading a diverse development team and collaborating across the
entire organization to ensure the successful launch of new products
and ongoing refinements of existing products. The ideal Director of
Engineering will have a demonstrated track record of building high
performance teams and delivery of highly scalable SaaS products.
The Director of Engineering must have a passion for developing a
team culture that inspires excellence in what we deliver,
collaboration in how we deliver it and the innovation required to
enable Oportun to help anyone who comes to us with a financial
- Manage and scale the high-performing team comprised of managers
and individual contributors at various levels.
- Performance management of team members (positive / negative)
against expectations of the role (level appropriate).
- Recruit top talent, build, and maintain a high performing
- Strategic planning for all product development efforts to
include the subsequent testing, release, and production environment
- Overseeing all activities of the software development team, and
influence on delivery groups (QA application release and
- Define the current and long-range direction of software
development by enhancing and implementing best-in-class practices,
policies and systems while delivering high quality and repeatable
- Leading and enhancing our methodology for the design,
development, test and release of our products and features
- Ensuring the knowledge sharing of software development best
practices in design, code, quality and process across departments;
and developing and monitoring technical standards to ensure
- Diagnose and resolve systemic obstacles that prevent your team
from delivering high-quality software.
- Champion an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as
a coach, mentor, and technical advisor.
- Charting the path between where someone is, where we want the
team to go and ensuring there is a development plan in place to arm
them with the required skill sets.
- Track record as a highly successful, hands-on engineering
leader in SaaS environments and a champion of best practices
- 6+ years of experience building, managing and scaling
- 7+ years of experience in recruiting and developing talent and
managing remotely distributed teams.
- 10+ years of experience in software development/coding
TypeScript, etc.) and frameworks (Spring, SpringBoot, React,
- The ability to seamlessly toggle between the strategic and the
tactical. Ability to develop vision, strategic plans, product
roadmaps as well as tactical priorities, processes, procedures and
- Experience with CI/CD technologies and cloud infrastructure
such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Strong product sense coupled with an ability to take a
- Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and
- Expert in performance and people management with a focus on
mentoring and motivating engineers
- Very strong analytical skills including requirements analysis,
detailed planning and risk assessment.
- Fluent in good architecture design
- Strong ability to build relationships with internal leadership
at all levels, along with effective interpersonal, presentation and
- Ensures budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements.
- Master of Science or advanced Degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems, or other related field, or equivalent work
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Experience building high-performance teams in both start-up and
established large scale companies
- Experience with financial systems, payment systems and/or
credit decisioning systems, preferably in loans or similar
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a financial services company and digital
platform that provides responsible consumer credit to hardworking
people in the United States. Using A.I.-driven models that are
built on years of proprietary customer insights and billions of
unique data points, we have extended millions of loans and billions
of dollars in affordable credit to consumers, the majority of whom
live in low-and moderate-income communities. Since about half of
our new customers come to Oportun without a FICO score, we play a
key role in the communities we serve by being able to offer them an
affordable and credit-building alternative to payday and auto title
lenders. In recognition of our responsibly designed products which
help consumers build their credit history, Oportun has been
certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI)
With headquarters in California and a remote-first corporate
culture, our 3,000+ team members work in Oportun locations and
remotely throughout the United States, Mexico, and India. Our
global operations include our Mexico contact centers and
administrative offices, our India technology development center,
and our US corporate, technology, and retail operations.
We feel privileged to have been named a Top Workplace by the Bay
Area News Group for three years running, one of Fast Companys Most
Innovative Companies in the World for 2020 and recognized as a TIME
Magazine 2018 Genius Company for our impact in helping to reinvent
the future of lending. For the last three consecutive years, we
have been titled Top Workplace by the Bay Area News Group.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of
being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and
inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are
encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is
directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to
fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left
out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our
inclusive culture through our employee resource groups and our
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Council.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all
qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to
race, age, color, religion, gender, caste, national origin,
disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other
category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations
where we operate.
We encourage you to apply for this position even if you do not
match all the qualifications listed for this position. At Oportun,
we will consider all experience on a candidates application, and we
are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of
backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
We will also consider those with criminal histories consistent with
the requirements of applicable laws in the locations where the role
will be based such as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and
the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance when
hiring for roles in locations with such laws.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for
qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application
process. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation
during the application or interview process or in accessing our
website may contact us by sending an email to email@example.com .
Please include your name and preferred method of contact in your
email. Please also note that this email address is for requests for
assistance only and not for the submission of applications or
resumes, which will not be considered through this channel.
Keywords: Oportun, San Francisco , Director of Engineering, Executive , San Carlos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!