Director of Software Engineering
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: February 16, 2020
Appen is the world's leading innovative technology company,
providing high-quality language and data services for machine
learning and artificial intelligence. Appen is headquartered in
Sydney, Australia and has subsidiaries in United States, United
Kingdom, Philippines, and China. Appen has more than 20 years of
experience in collecting and processing a variety of data,
including data types such as speech, text, and images, etc. Appen
has a pool of more than 1 million prequalified crowd resources
around the world able to provide data collection and processing
services in more than 180 languages. Appen's client include global
leaders in high-tech, automotive, e-commerce, etc. and governments
to help them develop and improve products and technologies based on
natural language understanding and machine learning. Appen is
listed on the Australian Stock Exchange with stock code: APX
- Build the Appen workforce management platform which manages
workers across the world, and support internal recruiting, client
service and domain experts and specialist teams to manage their
- Build Appen's data lake, which models and stores all Appen's
data. Voice data, Video data, transcription data, translation data,
relevance data, workers data, internal data, etc. This is the data
foundation serves Appen's various applications, internal insights
as well as machine learning services;
- Build data insight products. Those products can be reports of
project insights and worker insights, or training data insights
like visualization, distribution analysis, quality analysis, etc,
or internal products to understand better millions of crowd
- Learn and understand AI data need and build all the training
data related knowledge into our platform;
- Work with engineers, managers, Product Managers, QE, and
Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market
needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability,
reliability, realistic schedules, and adhere to development goals
- Estimate engineering effort, prioritize projects, plan
implementations, and help rollout system changes. Help define, and
supervise the design and implementation of complex, multi-tier
distributed software applications.
- Identify process, technology challenges and deficiencies that
need to be addressed and drive those changes to successful
- Mentor, grow and empower team members in design, coding
techniques and time management
- Proactively identify and resolve resource conflicts and set
priorities for parallel projects. Work closely with Product Manager
on resource and project reprioritization and subsequent impacts.
Communicate these impacts effectively.
- Identify project risks and be able to provide alternatives
yielding reduced risk.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical
discipline (or equivalent).
- 12+ years' work experience in software development area with at
least 5+ years' experience in big data development.
- Strong technical acumen with big data platform (relational,
non-relational, batch, real time);
- Experience of Hadoop, Map/Reduce, SQL, Kafka/Storm, Elastic
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data
structures, and algorithms.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven results-oriented person with a delivery focus in a high
velocity, high quality environment.
- Strong communication skills in Oral and Written English.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color,
national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status,
veteran status, or disability status.
Keywords: Appen, San Francisco , Director of Software Engineering, Executive , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!