Senior Platform Engineer
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: September 21, 2019
DescriptionAbout this role
You'll be joining the Core Platform team for FutureAdvisor. The
Core Platform team handles authoring internal services for use by
the product-engineering teams & is the primary owner of
infrastructure, in an SRE-type model. We have a broad set of
responsibilities, but your priorities will always be clear.
Our "customers" are the other engineering teams across
FutureAdvisor, and we work with them on a wide variety of tasks,
from advising on specific implementations, up to defining and
improving our SDLC.
We're a very collaborative team, with regular pair- and
mob-programming, retrospectives, postmortems, and a development
budget for engineering-led improvements. You'll be granted a lot of
flexibility and responsibility, and you'll be trusted to
demonstrate good judgement.
Some examples of our recent projects from the past few months:
- rehoming a service from one VPC into a new one, along with
automating the release process (shell scripting, CloudFormation,
- building a new service to replace an old one to provide
financial data to other internal services (Kotlin, Lambda,
- upgrading and hardening the operating system (via Packer) and
conducting a methodical test & rollout across all environments
- building a service for auditably managing access to different
environments (Lambda & Rails)
- upgrading the logging in Rails to be secure-by-default. We
handle a lot of sensitive data about people's financial lives, and
we got tired of having to add the security to each controller, and
instead just switched some of the default logging behavior
- building a certificate management tool which allows us to
monitor for expiring certificates
- building a generic database anonymizer to let us export data
from production systems while guaranteeing that all sensitive data
is removed first
- revising our Disaster Recovery plans
- AWS (both EC2 and serverless)
- Bash scripting
You'll be expected to use your hard skills to do a lot of the work
on this team, but there are some soft skills that will play into
your success on this team:
- We have lots of runbooks and we are a very collaborative team.
Still, it's valuable if you are comfortable taking an arbitrary
task and digging in to figure things out (including asking
questions after doing your own investigation).
- Being comfortable saying "I don't know". It's ok to say "I
don't know" when it's followed by "let's figure it out!"
- When you find that something isn't documented, you should want
to produce some. We have a joke at FutureAdvisor that
"documentation is a love letter to your future self". In general,
you should appreciate the value of good runbooks, code comments,
and tickets. You'll be expected to take ad-hoc Slack discussions
about your work and move the information into a better home for
- You should bring a general joy and love for learning new
things. We have a fairly mature product, and the more you learn
about the different areas, as well as the product usage, the more
you'll be able to get done.
- While there are a few ad-hoc tasks, we generally manage our
infrastructure through repeatable automation. When there are ad-hoc
tasks, you should help make the judgement call if we should
- Demonstrating good usage of our tools and processes. Instead of
saying "someone should fix X", file a ticket for it. If it's
quickly doable, file the ticket then do it on the spot. Doing good
work means that you are trusted to make these judgement calls.
We have a well-stocked kitchen, and catered lunch every day thanks
to Zesty. You won't be hungry or thirsty.
Our office is a short walk from Muni and BART, and we're right next
to the new Transbay bus station (with the great new rooftop park).
Perfect for walk-n-talks.
Hardware is all MBP & giant external monitors.
Although this is an onsite role, once you're onboarded, you'll be
able to take advantage of our FTO and remote work policies.
Delivering work is important, and having flexibility and downtime
is an important part of that.
- Architect, develop and improve our AWS-based deployment
processes using container technologies such as Docker.
- Liaise with our customers (Engineering teams) and architects to
design improvements to our development lifecycle.
- Work with the rest of the DevOps team to improve our overall
infrastructure reliability, scalability and monitoring.
- Automate processes so that engineers can self-service their
- Maintain and improve our CI/CD infrastructure writing code in
multiple scripting languages such as bash, Ruby, Go, etc.
- Participating actively in cross-functional feature requirements
gathering, design, and implementation.
- Performing code reviews and providing timely feedback to other
- Mentoring junior members of the engineering team on the latest
technologies and best practices.
- Networking competency
- Collaborative work style
- 8+ years of professional software development experience in an
- At least 6 years of engineering development experience in two
major scripting languages (Ruby, Python, Go, NodeJS, Groovy).
- At least 4 years of development experience with a major
- At least 3 years of experience creating and maintaining Cloud
infrastructure as code using technologies such as Terraform or
- At least 2 years of experience with Configuration Management
eg. Salt, Chef, Puppet.
- At least 2 years of experience developing and maintaining a CI
- At least 3 years of experience with containers, such as Docker,
Kubernetes, AWS ECS environment or similar.
- Have a strong mission to automate everything, but you know when
introducing automation might be a bad idea.
- DBA experience (MySQL preferred)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related experience
BlackRocks purpose is to help more and more people experience
financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading
provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the
solutions they need when planning for their most important goals.
As of June 30, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.84 trillion
in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional
information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate
- Twitter: @blackrock - Blog: www.blackrockblog.com - LinkedIn:
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative
Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to
race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other
statuses protected by law.We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay,
and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical
conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex
stereotyping (including assumptions about a persons appearance or
behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity),
gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age,
mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital
status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual
orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by
applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to
include both the actual status and also any perceptions and
assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider
for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction
records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law,
including any applicable fair chance law.
Keywords: BlackRock, San Francisco , Senior Platform Engineer, Engineering , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!