Location: San Francisco
Posted on: February 10, 2024
R-Zero is on a mission to deliver a better future for all via
safer, healthier shared indoor environments. Working here means
you'll help create a new category-one that bridges science, public
health, and technology. You'll ask why and achieve new outcomes,
developing skills beyond your existing scope of expertise. You'll
join a diverse team of forward-thinkers, collaborating on work that
will shape the future of human health. No playbook exists for the
problems we are solving, but our science-based approach and
revolutionary technology ensure that together, we will change the
As a Firmware Engineer, you will play a crucial role in developing
and maintaining firmware for microcontrollers used in our
IoT-connected products. Leveraging your expertise in embedded
systems, firmware development, and IoT connectivity, you will work
closely with cross-functional teams to design, implement, and test
firmware solutions. Your contributions will ensure the reliability,
security, and seamless integration of our products within our IoT
This is a hybrid work-location position, with a minimum of one to
two days per week spent in our San Francisco and Menlo Park
- Firmware Development: Design, develop, and implement embedded
software solutions for microcontrollers, with a focus on IoT
connectivity, ensuring efficient, reliable, and maintainable
- IoT Connectivity: Use industry-standard protocols and products
- such as MQTT, AWS IoT, Timescale and Grafana - gather and act on
data from fielded devices.
- Device Communications: Work with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE),
WiFi, and LTE modems, to enable seamless communication between IoT
devices, gateways, and cloud platforms.
- Testing and Debugging: Conduct thorough unit and integration
testing of firmware, identify and resolve software defects, and
optimize device performance.
- Code Maintenance: Lead code reviews, debugging and bug fixes
- IoT Cloud Integration: Collaborate with teams to integrate IoT
devices with cloud platforms, particularly with AWS IoT and AWS
Lambda, to enable data processing, storage, and device
- Documentation: Prepare documentation as needed including
software design specifications, technical manuals, and user guides
to facilitate firmware development and maintenance.
- Performance Optimization: Identify bottlenecks and optimize
firmware code to improve overall system performance, memory
utilization, and power efficiency within the context of IoT
- Field Support: Provide technical support and troubleshooting
assistance to resolve issues related to firmware and IoT device
functionality when deployed in the field. Collaborate with field
engineers and customers to diagnose and resolve software-related
problems, ensuring timely resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical
Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience (8+ years) in embedded software development,
with a focus on firmware development for microcontrollers.
- Strong proficiency in low-level programming languages such as
- In-depth knowledge of microcontroller architectures,
peripherals, and interfaces.
- Hands-on experience with embedded systems, real-time operating
systems (RTOS), and real-time applications.
- Familiarity with debugging tools, emulators, and oscilloscopes
for hardware/software troubleshooting.
- Experience with software version control systems and
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a
fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Strong communication skills to effectively convey technical
concepts and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams.
Additional Valuable Skills
- Experience with IoT connectivity protocols (e.g., MQTT, HTTP)
- Experience working with STM32 and ESP32 microcontrollers.
- Familiarity with device bootloaders and over-the-air firmware
- Familiarity with LTE modems for IoT communication.
- Familiarity with AWS IoT and AWS Lambda for cloud
- Familiarity with Python
- Experience with C or C++ build system tools (e.g. CMake).
- Experience working with distributed teams
The salary range for this position will vary based on candidate
level, experience, and location. The base salary for this position
contemplates a range of $150,000 - $200,000. Certain roles may be
eligible for incentive compensation, equity, and benefits. Proof of
eligibility to work in the United States and a background check is
required upon employment.
R-Zero's benefits program underscores our commitment to health
equity and care for all people-including our employees. Some of
these benefits include:
- Unlimited vacation, paid holidays
- Competitive total compensation with equity:
- Competitive compensation-backed by market research and audited
annually for pay disparities-is our baseline. In addition to
competitive base bay, every member of our team receives equity. We
believe shared ownership leads to shared success.
- Healthcare benefits (medical, dental, vision) starting on day
one. We offer coverage for employees, their spouses/domestic
partners, and their children.
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for all genders
- 401(k) program starting on day one
- AD+D and life insurance
R-Zero is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a
diverse and inclusive global work environment. We are committed to
a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and do not discriminate
against an applicant or employee on the basis of any legally
recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law,
including the San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.
Studies show that women and people of color tend not to apply for
jobs if they don't meet every single qualification. We encourage
you to apply-even if your experience doesn't perfectly align with
every bullet point in the job description. You may be just the
right candidate for this, or another opportunity.
By submitting your application, you acknowledge that you freely
give informed consent to the collection, processing, use, and
storage of your personal information as described therein.
Keywords: R-Zero, San Francisco , Firmware Engineer, Engineering , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!