Senior Front End Engineer (USA REMOTE)
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Turnitin is a global SaaS company dedicated to ensuring the
integrity of education and research and supporting the development
of original thinking skills. As the academic and research landscape
evolves, Turnitin stays ahead of trends through advancements in
technology and deep partnerships with education leaders,
institutions, and practitioners. -Turnitin's proprietary content
databases - built over 20 years - provide an unparalleled
repository of 1+ billion student papers, best-in-class scholarly
content from top publishers in every major discipline and in dozens
of languages, and 70+ billion current and archived web pages. We
promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all assignment
types and subject areas so that educators can help students do
their best, original work
Turnitin is looking for an experienced front-end engineer to help
us build user-facing applications used by millions of students,
teachers, and administrators. This is a high-impact role in which
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Engineering, Product,
Quality Assurance, and Support teams
- Implement end-to-end solutions for Turnitin's next generation
of academic integrity products
- Break down large projects and features into independently
workable/shippable milestones and stories
- Write readable, testable, and maintainable code
- Contribute throughout the front-end stack, developing features
applications that enable users to submit, view, and interact with
documents they have written within the context of our integrity
- Make contributions to both the short- and long-term development
of our products and team processes
- Be passionate about the software you build, and the way that
you build it. - We're a small, high-output, largely self-directed
team that prides itself on both the quality of the code we produce
and on our commitment to improving our processes along the
- Be opinionated enough to speak up when you think we could be
doing something better than we're doing it now -- and tactful and
empathetic enough to communicate this in a way that brings people
along instead of distancing them.
- Be curious enough to try new approaches to problems, in code,
architecture, and organizational matters. - Don't be afraid to try
something that doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as you might
like - but also know when to quit.
- Be self-directed enough to seek out and understand not just the
'what' of what we're building, but also the reason we're building
it - who is it for, how does it help them - and be informed by this
knowledge to make your own decisions, large and small.
- Be a proactive communicator - both to teammates and our
collaborators from other engineering teams, product, customer
support, sales, you get the picture. - Our work impacts a lot of
people, and there are a lot of stakeholders who need to maintain
context alongside us as progress / decisions are made.
- Be practical enough to strike a balance between doing things
'perfectly' and doing things 'well enough to ship'. - That is, you
should know what an ideal project or application looks like, and
also know when diminishing returns get in the way of bringing a
better experience to our users.
- Be well-versed in understanding large feature requests and
breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks of
independently shippable work - - and helping to organize the team
to collaborate on working together or in parallel to get them
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience, at least
developing scalable, performant applications
- Be well-versed in best practices in writing efficient,
understandable CSS and accessible, standards-compliant HTML.
- Understand frontend performance
- Familiarity with current frontend build systems (Webpack,
- Well-versed in writing and running unit- and integration
- Using Git as part of a collaborative team, including branching,
pull request, and code review processes.
- Accustomed to iterative development practices - breaking
problems down, shipping small pieces rather than long-running
Nice to haves
- Specific experience working with web visualization of non-HTML
documents (pdf.js or canvas-based document viewers)
- Specific experience developing add-ons for G-suite or Office
- Experience working full-stack in one or more server-side
technologies, preferably to develop APIs. - Our edge service[s] are
mostly written in Java/Spring Boot.
- Browser-driven end-to-end testing using a tool like Selenium or
Capybara-webkit, and/or frameworks that operate on top of them (we
currently use Nightwatch).
- Working with containers in development and/or deployment
- Experience working in distributed / microservices
- Automation (Jenkins or other CI/CD)
- Experience working with Typescript, bonus points for experience
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and
meaningfully improve learning outcomes. -Our Values underpin
everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity
and improve learning outcomes by -putting educators and learners at
the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are
constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables
them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin.
It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we
work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower
teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate
effectively, and celebrate each other's successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace
diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact
-Seeing Beyond the Job AdAt Turnitin, we recognize it's unrealistic
for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. -We
encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements
because we know that skills evolve over time. If you're willing to
learn and evolve alongside us, join our team! -Turnitin, LLC is
committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its
programs, facilities and employment. - All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: Turnitin, San Francisco , Senior Front End Engineer (USA REMOTE), Engineering , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!