Automotive Research Engineer
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Who We Are
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and
profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. The
Motive Automated Operations Platform combines IoT hardware with
AI-powered applications to automate vehicle and equipment tracking,
driver safety, compliance, maintenance, spend management, and more.
Motive serves more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of
industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and
gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger
transit, and delivery.
Motive is proud to be a Forbes Cloud 100 company and a 2020
Career-Launching Company by Wealthfront.
About The Role
As an Automotive Research Engineer, you will be a key member of the
Vehicle Data Team shaping the way we interact with in-field
vehicles. Both an exceptional technical engineer and self-starter,
you are able to use data analytics, in-field testing, and technical
research to unravel the mysteries of vehicle data. You will design,
execute, and test complex embedded features on a range of platforms
from bare metal, RTOS, and Linux, to mobile OS and cloud.
This role will unlock key data fields from connected vehicles both
onsite and remotely. You understand computers, networked
topologies, vehicle communication technologies, data analytics, and
practical test methods. You have a natural curiosity to understand
how modern machines work and subsystems integrate together. The
ability to work in a collaborative environment and agile team is a
must. This role offers immense career advancement and the
opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology.
What You'll Do
- Expand on the data set of the KT vehicle platform.
- Interact with vehicles of all forms and functions (commercial,
construction, personal) employing a wide range of technologies
including diesel, electric, and hybrid.
- Conduct data analysis on large datasets, and review OEM
technical documentation and infield testing to identify critical
- Design and develop high-performance software to filter and
reduce massive datasets to understand patterns and anomalies.
- Create further efficiency and efficacy of our reverse
engineering goals by designing and developing software tooling.
What We're Looking For
- 4+ years of experience in vehicle engineering, diagnostics, or
- Degree or qualification in Automotive, Electrical, or
- Experience with automotive diagnostic communication protocols
such as SAE J1939, SAE J1979, UDS 14229, ISO 27145 WWH-OBD, ISO
- Extensive experience with data analysis concepts and languages
(Python, R, SQL, etc..)
- Experience with common networking physical layers including
CAN, RS-232/485, SAE J1708, and Ethernet.
- Superb problem-solving abilities and a clear head to make
- Self-starter with the tenacity to understand how systems work
and to understand root causes
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core
values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of
different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those
commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export
Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that
employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and
Keywords: Motive, San Francisco , Automotive Research Engineer, Engineering , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!