Substation Engineer (Power Grid)
Company: SNC-Lavalin Group
Posted on: November 23, 2021
This position is based out of but not limited to our offices in
Albany, NY, Portland, ME & Massachusetts, and reports to our
Engineering Manager NE Operations. It is responsible for supporting
or leading substation engineering project teams, with the
development of General Arrangements for Substations, Equipment
Plans, Elevations, and Sections, Control House Layouts, Grounding
design, Conduit and cable design, Creation of Bills of Materials,
and Cable schedules. The Substation Engineer is required to work
independently on fast paced technically complex design projects. As
part of the SNC-Lavalin group of companies, SNC-Lavalin designs,
develops, and delivers engineering, including system planning and
studies, procurement, and construction solutions for high voltage
power substation projects from our United States office locations.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Work within a multi-discipline team to develop and/or review
efficient and reliable electrical design packages for medium and
high voltage substations.
- Lead Substation Physical Electrical design to develop and/or
review site and equipment layouts, elevations, buswork, ground
grids, lightning shielding, material lists, etc.
- Perform design studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge
of physical electrical substation design.
- Coordinate design activities to maintain project schedules,
budget, quality requirements to ensure successful project
- Assist in site visits and station walkdowns, estimating, and
attending project meetings.
- Accountable to provide design activities in accordance with
applicable codes and standards, including SNC-Lavalin's policies
and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance
and Quality Control.
- Select equipment and material and preparation of specifications
for material, equipment, and construction work.
- Deliver accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet
industry standards and specifications, and meet prudent engineering
- Review internal and external designs for code compliance, good
design practice and constructability.
- Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline
project team members.
- Provide construction support including resolving site queries,
attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the
construction phase of projects.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to
engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built
requirements and return data information.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that
support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting,
Project Management etc.
- Mentor and provide guidance to developing engineers within the
department. What will you contribute?
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a
- Minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience focused on
the development of substation engineering for Senior positions.
Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience focused on the
development of substation engineering for Intermediate
- A Professional Engineer (PE) registration (or eligible for
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Prior utility consulting experience is a plus.
- Strong client focus and customer service.
- A high level of interpersonal communication skills, including a
strong command of the English language with good written and oral
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards including the
National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC),
- Ability to perform independently and in a team environment and
provide project ownership. What we offer at SNC-Lavalin: At
SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and
healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career
opportunities You think that a career in our team could match your
profile, submit your application online now! Founded in 1911,
SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and
project management company and a major player in the ownership of
infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's
employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide
comprehensive end-to-end project solutions - including capital
investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction,
sustaining capital and operations and maintenance - to clients in
oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On
July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most
respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
http://www.snclavalin.com. The alumni meet was a first-of-its-kind
event for members to learn about the various new initiatives within
the organization. Let's keep up the momentum of Moving Together.
Project Neon is the largest public works project in the history of
Nevada. It will widen 3.7 miles of Interstate 15 (I-15) between
Sahara Avenue and the "Spaghetti Bowl" interchange in downtown Las
Vegas. Copyright SNC-Lavalin Group 2021 - All rights reserved
Keywords: SNC-Lavalin Group, San Francisco , Substation Engineer (Power Grid), Engineering , Albany, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!