Senior Data Engineer
Company: Verana Health
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: November 23, 2021
Verana Health partners with leading medical associations to
transform clinical data into actionable real-world evidence. These
partnerships enable Verana to harness the comprehensive data found
in qualified clinical data registries and other specialty data
sources to accelerate medical research and enhance patient care.
Verana raised $100 million from investors including GV, formerly
Google Ventures, and Bain Capital Ventures, showing a continued
thirst for new data-driven approaches to treating disease.Our team
is reinventing how medical research happens with data and
technology. This is a company built by and for people who are
looking to get out of their comfort zone and try new things, who
want to learn and grow quickly, and who seek to be part of a
mission-driven team committed to improving patient lives. Our
headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional
offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working
remotely in AZ, CA, FL, GA, IL,, MA, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX,
VA, WA, and WI. All employees are required to have permanent
residency in one of these states. Candidates who are willing to
relocate are also encouraged to apply.Verana Health is seeking a
Data Engineering professional with the skills to build and maintain
data-driven applications. The engineer will build and support a
suite of data tools and applications that orchestrates the
ingestion of data from multiple EHR sources, provides process and
data intelligence to business users, and enables the maintenance of
mappings from original EHR data to a common data model. The
candidate will take part in the broader technology team responsible
for managing company-wide data ingestion and healthcare data
mapping effort.Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build a data-processing infrastructure in compliance with
security requirements to maintain and continuously improve HITRUST
- Implement integration with electronic health records (EHR) and
practice management systems.
- Automate the generation of ETL code to run on Apache Spark and
potentially cloud data warehouse in the AWS infrastructure
- Automate the profiling of EHR and other databases.
- Understand healthcare-specific data models, data dictionaries,
defined vocabularies and other metadata and assist in mapping data
elements to standard data specifications.
- Work closely with technology teams to understand processes and
policies driving the team goals.
- Document and improve data mapping and data element
identification processes across the entire data ingestion
- A minimum of a BS degree in computer science, software
engineering, or related scientific discipline, coupled with 5 years
of software/data engineering experience.
- 4+ years of experience in Data Modeling, logical/physical
- 4+ years of experience utilizing multiple data and network
related services in a cloud environment.
- 2+ years operating in a CI/CD environment
- 4+ years of experience with Pyspark and SQL
- 3+ years of experience implementing and designing data
warehouses using MPP databases such as Snowflake, BigQuery or
- Experience with clinical data sets
- Proficient in design of ETL/ELT for batch and streaming
- Experience in data models of one/two of the major EHRs - Epic,
Cerner, Centricity, Athena, eClinicalWorks, Compulink,
IntelleChartPRO (MDIntelleSys), NextGen, Centricity, EyeMD,
Allscripts, CareCloud, iMedicWare, Integrity etc.
- Basic understanding of the clinical & EHR workflow, including
knowledge of expected high-level data elements and categories, and
understanding of standard medical terminologies and coding systems
(e.g., ICD-10-CM, CPT, SNOMED, HCPCS)
- Experience implementing a CI/CD based development process
- Test Driven Development experience
- Knowledge of security considerations that apply in data
- Experience with health interoperability standard information
models (e.g., C-CDA, HL7, FHIR CDM)Benefits:Verana Health values
our employees well-being and happiness. We provide fully covered
health, vision and dental for employees, Flexible vacation plans,
learning and development allowances, a generous parental leave
policy, 401K and commuter benefits.Final noteYou do not need to
match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at
Verana, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we
need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that
encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Keywords: Verana Health, San Francisco , Senior Data Engineer, Engineering , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!