Accounting Department Manager
Company: California Institute of Integral Studies
Location: San Francisco
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Location: San Francisco, CA Category: Staff Positions Posted On:
Thu Jan 18 2024 Job Description: POSITION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Controller, the Accounting Department Manager is a
hands on department manager, handling supervisorial duties as well
as being an active collaborator in the daily delivery of accounting
activities. This role will be responsible for assuring the team is
meeting deadlines and fulfilling a high standard of accuracy with a
variety of accounting transactions in support of entire
University's activities (The ideal candidate has strengths in both
management and tasks and acts in the dual-function of team lead and
individual contributor. For the right candidate, this position
could become an Assistant Controller).
The Accounting team's primary responsibility is to control and
maintain continuity, sustainability, and contingency financial
objectives and strategic planning of CIIS. This team works
collaboratively to support each other with a variety of
departmental duties and responsibilities; thus, the Accounting
Department Manager is cross-trained in each accounting position.
The position will examine, analyze and interpret accounting records
and conduct reconciliations of financial, expenditure, accounts
payable, accounts receivable, payroll, tax, and students accounts
data. This position will also support the financial processes
across University departments and lead in processing, relationship
management, reconciliation and audit of general ledger, bank,
credit card, merchant card, and other processes or accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works in connection with the Finance and Administration
Division Controller and CFO
- Oversees a team of accountants and one accounting clerk
- Performs general accrual accounting and other related duties in
a timely manner
- Cross-trains in other Accounting and Control department areas
(A/P, A/R, Payroll, general G/L)
- Ensures departmental protocols for purchasing, accounts
payable, accounts receivable, cashiering, property, general ledger,
payroll, grants management, investment management, and risk
management are adhered to
- Maintains records necessary for proper GAAP accounting and
control of general ledger transactions by monitoring data
- Reviews and posts journal entries entered by various data entry
- Adheres to timely month-end and year-end closing procedures and
functions across department
- Generates reports for Controller, CFO, and/or Director of
Business & Financial Planning
- Oversees all bank reconciliations and recordings which consist
of operating, payroll, investment, and other accounts
- Main contributor in annual external audit and annual tax
- Audits, investigates, and corrects errors with Controller
- Oversees and reconciles fixed asset records including
additions, adjustments, disposals, reconciles fixed asset
schedules, calculates depreciation expenses, and prepare journal
- Manages lease database, reconciles, and prepares journal
- Assists in the preparation of financial statements and
schedules for the annual audit and special audits
- Cross-trains in and is back up for the review and filing of
various Federal, State (33 states), and City tax and business
filings with Controller review
- Maintains schedule and reconciliation of restricted and
- Performs other tasks or duties as assigned
- Provides high degree of customer service orientation and sets
standard for the Accounting team.
PM22 Job Requirements:MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Marked Knowledge of general financial accounting and accrual
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally
accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Proficient with Accounting General Ledger software, Microsoft
Office Suite or similar software.
- Highly proficient in Excel.
- Must be kind, intelligent, and proactive
Education and Experience:
- Non-Profit, Higher Education experience preferred.
- Proven experience with Non-Profit accounting, the preparation
of the Financial Statements.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required.
- Master's degree in accounting is preferred.
- CPA certification is desired.
- At least four years of departmental managerial finance,
accounting, or related experience required. Ability to learn
enterprise database systems quickly.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague or Banner ERP systems is
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other
department members and CIIS departments.
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized with time and
- Team leadership skills are required.
- Bilingual or Multilingual is appreciated.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
The position is based in San Francisco and is 100% in person and on
campus full-time, with few exceptions Additional Information:WAGES
Salary range: $90,000 - $110,000 commensurate with skills and
CIIS offers a comprehensive benefits package.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
- Working Conditions - Duties are primarily performed in an
office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically Monday
- Background Check - Due to the sensitivity and requirements of
this position, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an
employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for
employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational
degree(s), licenses, or credentials pertinent to the position. If
your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to
provide proof of a valid driver's license.
- Visa Sponsorship - Visa sponsorship is not available for this
position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the
United States for any employer.
- Relocation Assistance - This position is not eligible for
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS strives to cultivate and preserve a culture of inclusion and
belonging as part of its Seven Commitments. More than accept
difference, we honor and celebrate our staff's diversity of
experiences, perspectives, and identities. Together, our community
creates and maintains working and learning environments that are
inclusive, equitable, accessible, and welcoming.
CIIS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed
to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory
environment for all individuals across differences of race,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
socio- economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or
medical condition. We seek to increase the presence,
representation, and inclusion of U.S. historically
under-represented people of color, international, bilingual, and
bicultural students, faculty, and staff; and, to provide an
environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as
lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and
intersex (LGBTQQI+). CIIS is committed to compliance with all fair
employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Keywords: California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco , Accounting Department Manager, Accounting, Auditing , San Francisco, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!